[RESOLVED] Internet Connections??
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Internet Connections??

3fingersalute

Resolved [RESOLVED] Internet Connections??

I'm just curious what kind of internet connections all you other techs are sitting on at your shops? I am trying to convince our owner into getting us DSL because we're still sitting around waiting on driver downloads, etc. on a 56K modem line!

------------------
    [email protected]

Darren Wilson

Single Channel ISDN at present as ADSL is not available our area yet and Cable access is in it's infancy still.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

Surfboard (1-way cable modem) here. Powerlink (2-way) coming this summer.
    Even though it's just broadband download at this time, it meets our driver/info needs. The cable company isn't throttle-ing our connection at this point in time and we achieve speeds in excess of 3.5mb/s ! (very cool, indeed)http://computingcentral.msn.com/topics/bandwidth/speedtest50.asp
    The grace of God, thru the shed blood of His son Jesus, has brought me this far; and by His continued blessing, my business meets my needs and I continue to grow. Amen

We have a ISDN which will switch to a dual line if the need is great enough. My boss would like ADSL if it becomes available in the shops area soon.
    Tech Handbook Filling your computer needs.

3fingersalute

Exclamation

thanks, just curious because i have been trying to convince my boss to get a DSL line put in, but the provider wants you to sign a 5 year agreement to get it for $89.00 a month, otherwise it is $119.00 a month. Now who would want to sign a 5 year agreement on anything in the computer field?....I mean, DSL will probably be obsolete in five years, right? I still don't think $119/mo. is a bad rate for DSL, but the boss thinks otherwise because our dial-up account is free from the local ISP since we send customers to them. Guess we're stuck on 56K for a while!

------------------
    [email protected]

3 T1's. I'm spoiled.
    A+ MCSE CCNA

3fingersalute

jmlozan...surely you don't work at a retail store then I take it?

------------------
    [email protected]

we have a couple of T1s at the university.

Unhappy

33600 liesed line.
    Sorry,we cann't afford more. It's qiute expensive in my region (now we pay more than
    300 US$/month)

Unhappy

We are running 2 cable modems con's. Then I go home to my dial-up 56K, life just isn't fair.

"The higher we fly, the smaller we appear to those still on the ground."

[This message has been edited by NeuromancerIV (edited July 27, 2000).]
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

Going to be fiber here in a month or two (just started dns hosting). currently dual ISDN

We've got a partnership going with a local ISP (SNIP.net) and get a really good deal on a full T-1 (all 24 channels, 1.55 Mbps)

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

56k here....and just think.. i needed the sb pci128 drivers the other day....5 hours later that computer had drivers.....
    CYRIX....The Processor of the future......

Originally posted by Ruslan:
    33600 liesed line.
    Sorry,we cann't afford more. It's qiute expensive in my region (now we pay more than
    300 US$/month)

Wow suddenly I do not feel so bad about a 56k connection and a mandatory 4 hr kick!

------------------
    I might rock, but I am not made of stone!

freetech

we use an idsl line that gives us 144kb dedicated bandwidth. we slogged along with a 28.8k connection until we reached an agreement with idsl vendor to promote their products in our shop in return for a free line. try it with a local vendor, it worked for us.