[RESOLVED] WIN98 Auto Logon
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] WIN98 Auto Logon

3fingersalute

Resolved [RESOLVED] WIN98 Auto Logon

I have seen several WIN98 boxes that always go straight into WIN98 w/out prompting for a username/password no matter what you change in the net settings.....by hacking the registry and removing all references to "Login" and "Logon" I I have been able to resolve this problem. Does anybody know which reg key in particular causes this?

------------------
    [email protected]

stanfinger

Yeah, I guess that could do it, but lots of messin' with the registry is a lot riskier than installing tweakui and using the autologon. Yeah, the screen still pops up, but it automatically logs in.

Austin

Mustang

have you ever thought of just not entering a password when you set the machine up
    if you dont enter one and then click ok it doesnt ask anymore

shawnMt

3finger - installing the Netbui protocol will almost always force a password prompt on the next boot. I think the reg key is in HKEY -> Current User but I'm not sure. It's called autologon or autologin.

------------------
    Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted. www.auwebdesign.com/shawnpages/laptop.html

[This message has been edited by shawnMt (edited June 29, 2000).]

Cool

.....just a thought, if ya del the ?.pwl files in \windows , on boot up you will be asked for your login info again......
    The grace of God, thru the shed blood of His son Jesus, has brought me this far; and by His continued blessing, my business meets my needs and I continue to grow. Amen

stanfinger

wait, is the question concerning a machine on a network that requires you to log on to client for microsoft network or a home PC?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Network

I believe there's a key in there called "Logon", and a 1 or 0 turns the logon prompt on and off respectively.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

caemery

Lightbulb

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\Services\Netl ogon

The Key is called autologin. Set the Value to Zero or Back it up and delete it. I'm running Win2000 right now so the exact path escapes me but the above should be close.

caemery is correct. Don't pay any attention to my post. (-:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

R. Bret Walker, CNE

3fingersalute

Question

yes, i believe that was the one cameray...this is mostly on people's 98 home pc's that i have seen this, which by bypassing the winlogon, does not allow them to save the dial-up networking passwords..thanks for the help...I didn't have the patience to delete an entry, and reboot over and over until I found the correect key!

------------------
    [email protected]

caemery

Cool

You're welcome. I've had to do this at least three times to various clients' computers. The first time it took a long time, but I finally found it in the microsoft knowledge base.

You can also try out TweakUI from Micro$oft which has a section for AutoLogin for networking, or else you can select "Windows Logon" Method for your network type (under Control Panel->Network) instead of Microsoft Logon (I think)

perkinsr

Lightbulb

Simply go Start, Shutdown, Log Off and Log on as a new user, then try to connect using dialup networking, you should now be able to save the password. You could probably also delete the .pwl files from the Windows directory.

Never met this problem.
    May be because I'm usually always install
    protocols IPX, NetBEUI and TCP.

All three? Doesn't that generate a lot of extra traffic on the LAN?
    R. Bret Walker, CNE