The future of Home/Business PC's

Thread: The future of Home/Business PC's

Post The future of Home/Business PC's

I own my own computer shop in Tampa, Florida and I always wonder/worry what the future holds for home and business computers. How LONG do you guys think people will pay to have PC's fixed. There getting so cheap and NET appliances are popping up everywhere. I think probably 4 years, then computers like the Gateway and IBM computers that are built in to the back of flat screen monitors will be mainstream and aren't FRU.
    Milkstache, what's that ?

I have a compuer business in LaBelle, Florida, and even though we may be in throw-away society, there will still be work for custom configured machines and upgrades. Also, I have branched out into teaching at customer locations.

I look at it this way guys. When the machines of the future are made to be use-em-and-throw-em-away systems, thats what I will build. You have to roll with the times gang.

What if these machines can't be built by the small shops anymore you ask?? Well, then I'll just have to move on to my next profession. I'm thinking male stripper. No brain power required and you don't have to worry about what to wear!!

------------------

WildTech

**I'd rather be lucky than smart!!**
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

Well, when my computer business peters out, I will retire, go fishing and let my wife support me.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

Hell, I would like to retire now and let the wife support me, screw waiting around for the end of the P.C era.
    Milkstache, what's that ?

I'm with JasonFlorida1! I've done enough supporting...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Sorry to get back on the subject but swamprat is right, no matter how cheap computers get or if they become fully integrated the customer is still gonna have no clue how to use the thing. Teaching is going to be the way, if you have some room in your shop or can make room I would say make a classroom or learning center, for private and corporate customers. Yes, custom PC's are always gonna be there but can that support you? Start teaching all the things you can't learn at college, certifications, xwindows. Big money to be had, trust me.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Cars are pretty cheap. Hell, at the turn of the century they were a novelty. Even in the 20's only the elite had them. Then came the Interstate Highway system, a project created by FDR to create jobs and connect states with paved highways with no stop lights on them. Cars began to boom. Nowadays everyone has a car, sometimes two. Yet over 100 years after the first car was built and driven, we still take them to the mechanics to be fixed. Now, being a mechaninc is a rather lucrative trade. And you know you take your car back to the same one who does the good job and gets it done right the first time. This is why I believe that there will always be a place for the techie in our lifetime.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.

I gotta go along with pcshark!! He makes a good point!!

I still think becoming a male stripper would have some awesome benefits though. I guy can dream can't he???

------------------

WildTech

**I'd rather be lucky than smart!!**
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

I was a stripper once. Women paid me to put my clothes back on. (-;

By the way, this is my 300th post. Do I get a certificate now or something? (-:

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

[This message has been edited by pcshark (edited August 02, 2000).]
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Talking

hey, i just broke a hundred...
    ( a few posts ago..)
    as long as there are idiots, users, and hacker/programmer wanna-be's - there will always be a demand, and i dont percieve their extinction any time soon. after all -
    (quote from me...)
    it is the stupid people that are breeding. the rest of us are too smart to have kids.

Darren Wilson

Sorry Guys, I broke the 1Gp (GigaPost) barrier and still didn't get anything

Oh well I soon will be ahead of both AMD & Intel on the Gig rating

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

Tickled!

HAHAHAHA....pcshark...u da man!...now i know why i visit this forum..(wiping tears)