[RESOLVED] Is There A Use For 30 Pin Sims Chips?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Is There A Use For 30 Pin Sims Chips?

Hybrid View

mune

Resolved [RESOLVED] Is There A Use For 30 Pin Sims Chips?

Is the only use for the "legacy" 30 pin memory sticks simply as garbage can filler or does anyone know of a legitimate after life for them? My supply is about to go the way of the trashman (unless someone tells me otherwise). thanks all, mune

Darren Wilson

They make bloody good keyrings

You could always try to sell them very cheaply to a local music store as a lot of the profssional sound cards used to have 30pin SIMM slots on them. This is about the only use for them nowadays. I can still remember paying an arm & a leg for 256Kb & 1Mb 30 pin SIMM's not so long ago...... Most of you who have been in this trade a little while will know exactly what I mean by that....

------------------
    I am my own Judge , Jury & Executioner. Although I am availabel for Weddings, Birthdays, Bahmitzvahs, etc,etc......

AnyTwo

Wink

If you'd like, I'll send you some 286 computers you can put em in.....

------------------
    Sign Here:_ _________________ _
    Date: _ _________ _

Jpbtennisman

Keychains

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

mune

The keyring idea is great, looks like I'll have enough for a bunch of bracelets too, hey those 286s should make good jewelery boxes...... haha, Christmas is comin.
    Thanks for the input

Jpbtennisman

Oh yeah and you can paint them all kinds of cool colors.

------------------
    "I don't care if it's called the Crap-tastic 9000! If it's good, I'm getting it." - Me

[b] America Rules!

My goal is to help YOU

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm

dlagace

I have some hanging from my Rear view mirror in my Van.

------------------
    "What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge dLagace=DANIMAL

MacGyver

Lots of people on ebay trying to sell them - for a measly $1. Most of those auctions are going to close with no bids!

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

Abort/Retry/Fail

Keyfobs, earings, chandalier ornaments, sculptures. Sad innit?

It's sorta garbage nowadays...But...
    The same memory is used in my an old Creative AWE-32 and some another used to be cool sound cards,in an old PCI,ISA,VESA IDE cashe controllers laying around me...
    There is special 72-pin to 30-pin convertor -the last option for utilization that outdated memory... And there is some an old 486 motherboards without 72-pin memory slots (only 30-pin ones). So, donate these memory sticks to someone,who need it...

exholt

Hey...

Send those 30 pin simms to me...I have a friend who could use some....

-Ken

Email me at [email protected] for more details...>)

------------------
    Retro-Computing: Not for the faint-of-heart.

I sold a box of 100 sticks on Ebay back in the spring for $18 plus shipping. I can't imagine what use the buyer had for them, but I didn't care since his money was good.

A guy at church told me his nephew takes old computer parts and makes clocks out of them. For example, he buys the clock mechanism somewhere, then drills a hole through a hard drive so that he can attach it. Then he breaks down the 30 pin simms to their individual chips and uses those as the numbers on the face of the clock. He then sells them at craft shows.

------------------
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

Garak

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by MacGyver:
    Lots of people on ebay trying to sell them - for a measly $1. Most of those auctions are going to close with no bids!

</font>
    hey, i made £10 off 130 1meg 30pin sims

------------------
    If You Cant Beat It, Bin It....

Just A Thought

mune

This brings us to the topic of 5.25 floppy drives (or whatever exact size they are)....
    and then p66 chips....
    and....
    and....
    and where do we stop from there........

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by mune:
    and where do we stop from there........ </font>
    ...at the nearest garbage can or recycling center...

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."