Motherboard chipset fans, need em or not ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard chipset fans, need em or not ?

Question Motherboard chipset fans, need em or not ?

I got an Asus A7V133 motherboard, which comes with an on board fan for the chipset, the fan failed and smoked itself to death this morning, i spoke to the company that i bought it off and they want to return it to the supplier, except it will take a couple of weeks at least. Can't be without it for that long.

He reckons its not needed anyway, whaddya reckon ?

I wouldn't risk it. Manufacturers don't eat into their profits by adding in un-necessary extras. The board may well run OK without the fan, although it may also have niggly instability. The chip will be running hot though, and a couple of weeks now could weaken it & cause premature failure later.

Agreed,
    Though chipset fans are no so important - You will lose waranty on the System if you fail to resolve the situation.
    On extreme cases Bad chipset can damage BIOS, Memory or eve main CPU.
    I would recommend on a repair ASAP.

Don't take the chances - It's just don't worth it.

Good Luck
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Lightbulb

The warranty has nearly expired, could this be the answer i need cos absolutely no-one has the fans for sale :

<a href="http://www.quietpc.com/vgamb.php" target="_blank">http://www.quietpc.com/vgamb.php</a>

It might work but i think you want something with a fan. Check <a href="http://www.componentauthority.com/therbluorbch.html" target="_blank">here</a>. It's for VGA chipsets but it might work no? What MOBO is it and what chipset?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Asus A7V133, Via Kt133 chipset.

Have *ahem* kinda attached a p3 fan for the time being

why not fit a standard 40mm fan to it??? They only cost a couple of Quid.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Wink

Cos i can't find anywhere that does em !

[quote]Originally posted by UKMatt:
    <strong>Cos i can't find anywhere that does em ! </strong><hr></blockquote>

PM me with your address and I will send you one. I have 3 sitting here doing nothing.
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

Lightbulb

in a pinch I have used a fan from an old 486 heatsink.

this is not the first post concerning these boards. I too have the same motherboard and have had the same problem in the past, as have others.
    "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Voltaire.

Unhappy

The whole board has gotta go back, the cpu fan don't work now, and it works fine on another pc, think the mobo has blown something

Worse thing is, i have to go all weekend without gaming

None of my other pc's will recognise my 60gb hd, so i can't get anything off that either.

Wednesday is the best i can hope for

Milkman

I like the concept of keeping the northbridge chipset cool. The one thing that motherboard manufacturers have overlooked is the quality of the fan. All of them that I have seen have been low quality SLEEVE bearing, which will only last a short amount of time under certain environments. At my shop we use the Giga-Byte 7DXR for our system and they come the cheap fans on the heatsing. So what we do is replace it with a High Quality SUNON fan and it fits perfectly. Bottom line is the fans are a good idea as long as they are not SLEEVE BEARING.

The Milkman

[quote]Originally posted by Milkman:
    <strong>I like the concept of keeping the northbridge chipset cool. The one thing that motherboard manufacturers have overlooked is the quality of the fan. All of them that I have seen have been low quality SLEEVE bearing, which will only last a short amount of time under certain environments. At my shop we use the Giga-Byte 7DXR for our system and they come the cheap fans on the heatsing. So what we do is replace it with a High Quality SUNON fan and it fits perfectly. Bottom line is the fans are a good idea as long as they are not SLEEVE BEARING.

The Milkman</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sleeve bearing fans are fine as long as nothing is in the way of them. 2 of the 4 case fans in my system are 4 year old sleeve bearing fans that are running quiter than the ball bearing fans I have just bought!!!!! The MTBF rates on sleeve bearings are still in excess of 4 YEARS!!!! Tell me? How many people keep a motherboard for more than 4 years???? About 3-4%???

Wink

I've got a mobo thats 4 years old.

Think its in the loft somewhere