pass me the 20lb sledge.....

Thread: pass me the 20lb sledge.....

Post pass me the 20lb sledge.....

Got a machine here, had hybris. cleaned up plugin files and removed wsock32.dll in pure dos. rebooted to safemode and re-extracted wsock32.dll using SFC in win98. reboot back to regular mode, and it gets dns errors with explorer. removed all networking components, rebooted and reinstalled networking components...same thing. installed ie 5.5 sp1, same thing. created a new dial up network account, same thing. replace modem, same thing. I even setup their internet account on another machine with all the same settings. Of course it worked on the other machine, so I can’t blame the ISP’s dns server.

Damn thing is about to go through a window, either that or a format reinstall (which would make me veryyyy happy).

Any other ideas, or have I pretty much covered it all already?

Talking

Its must be a HP haha ... did you try reinstalling the explorer?

Had that happen to me ended up reinstalling explorer and it fixed it.

Good Luck

Lightbulb

i had almost the same thing a week ago, i tried everything you did and nothing worked. in the end i ran windows over the top and somehow it fixed it. just a suggestion
    take care and tempt not the fates

[quote]Originally posted by Damned Angel:
    <strong>Got a machine here, had hybris. cleaned up plugin files and removed wsock32.dll in pure dos. rebooted to safemode and re-extracted wsock32.dll using SFC in win98. reboot back to regular mode, and it gets dns errors with explorer. removed all networking components, rebooted and reinstalled networking components...same thing. installed ie 5.5 sp1, same thing. created a new dial up network account, same thing. replace modem, same thing. I even setup their internet account on another machine with all the same settings. Of course it worked on the other machine, so I can’t blame the ISP’s dns server.

Damn thing is about to go through a window, either that or a format reinstall (which would make me veryyyy happy).

Any other ideas, or have I pretty much covered it all already?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Friend of mine just got this and Norton caught it after the machine was infected. Well, she wound up deleting a lot of files instead of cleaning them and after much hassle I couldn't even get the dial up networking window to open. Since I was doing it for free my decision was to fdisk, format and install the OS all over again. It's a family computer and the kids had so much crapware on it that a 350mhz pentium2 with 96 mb of ram was acting like a 166 with 32mb of ram. I've wanted to format the sucker for a while anyway.

Thanks for the replies, but I actually found the answer about an hour after i posted.

read Apathy's post <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=006466" target="_blank">here</a>

[quote]Originally posted by Damned Angel:
    <strong>Thanks for the replies, but I actually found the answer about an hour after i posted.

read Apathy's post <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=006466" target="_blank">here</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly what I was thinking. Had the same problem on a system yesterday--same fix. Gee, is AOL an alias for Hybris???
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."