Problem with Internal Zip drives & Via Chipset Mainboards

Thread: Problem with Internal Zip drives & Via Chipset Mainboards

Angry Problem with Internal Zip drives & Via Chipset Mainboards

Anyone got a solution?

When i build a computer using a motherboard with a 686A or 686B via chipset using an internal zip drive the computer itself runs perfect... Until i try to do anything with the Zip drive. It takes forever to transfer data, when it finishes transfering data it hangs for 2 - 3 minutes, formatting a zip disk doesnt work, it gets to 100% and stops. If you cancel the format it makes the disk unusable until you format it on a working drive.

Ive done some research on this and not found this exact problem documented, however, i've tried some solutions to similar problems. I've installed the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers, tried the zip drive on the same and different IDE channel as the harddrive and it still does the same thing.

Its happened with 3 different motherboards in 3 totally different systems.

umm help?
    Insert Signature Here...

------------------------------

Thumbs up

Which brand of Zip Drive?

Best place to start would be on the manufactures webpage for instructions how to install the Drive and Software.

Most cases you have to make sure the Drive is set to NONE in bios when installing the ZIP Drives Install Disk..

Good Luck

tracker

Set it to none in bios - jumper it for master (not master A or FDD emulation)
    Also don't use a DMA/66 cable, just for good measure.

Latest version of IomegaWare?

Cool

If your using windows 98 SE, Via chipset and zip100 your zip will be all messed up. On <a href="http://www.msi.com.tw" target="_blank">http://www.msi.com.tw</a> under support thier is a via patch to fix this problem under windows 98 SE. I spent many hours trying to figure out this exact problem. It is an single installation IDE utility put out by via.
    Hannibal Smith and Howlin Mad Murdock really do love Mr. T!