minimum wattage for dual AMD

Thread: minimum wattage for dual AMD

Post minimum wattage for dual AMD

can i get someone to tell me the minimum wattage i can run a dual AMD MP system,
    for assus a7m266d
    or tyan dual (cah remember the name) not da 1 with 2 network ports, the single network port board.
    If u dont know what i talking bout, for the tyan, den jus answer for the asus

Do You mean minimal wattage of the PSU?
    It doesn't really matter - most of modern (but good!) the PSU 300Wt or above will work fine.
    Actually, usual PC consumes just only something about 80-100 Watt total (without monitor)...

But You should have good the PSU (for example,-InWin,EnerMax,Enhance Electronics,AOpen and so on). It may be 50/50, if You're having the "noname" PSU...

Avatar Goes Here Radical Dreamer's Avatar

Please, when asking questions do NOT post in multiple forums
    :::Asus A8N-Sli Premium:::AMD 3500+ @ 2.4ghz:::2x80GB 8mb cache RAID0 Array:::GeForce 7800GTX OC:::2GB Corsair XMS Memory:::500 Watt Enermax Liberty PSU:::16x Lite-on DVDRW:::

Counter Strike Source Forum and Server @ http://www.nvpclan.com -=Ninjas Vs. Pirates=-

Spend the extra money and get a 400. If I remember right, the Asus dual mobo explicity say 400 or higher. But I'm not sure. At any rate, get a 400w antec. They're really nice power supplies.

thank u
    for those who gave HELPFULL advice

FIV, I assume that capitalising helpful meant that you don't think all the advice you received was useful to you.

I disagree, every post in this thread has been helpful.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Banned

I think ruslans correct about power outputs again,,,,,

just been looking at the spec sheet for "asus terminator" ,,,a full built machine from asus ,minus cpu mem and h/drive ,,

ASUS are quite happy to sell (with warrenty) AMD machines with 120w PSU,s

now come on ,,,,they design the board ,???

If the spec needed 300w then the Mfg cost would only be pennies to up the PSU spec to ,,,,

so , is it cheaper to build a bigger PSU ,,,,or handle multiple RMAs ????????

FtF

Arrow

quote:
    Originally posted by Fubarian:
    Spend the extra money and get a 400. ......

Look Ruslan is right (as always! ) most modern 300w supplies deliver sufficient power, many older 200, 220 & 250 w PSU can deliver sufficient voltage too, it is not the PSU's wattage that is important, again Ruslan is correct - most PC's are only pulling around 120 w (that's with 4 ide devices!), what is important is the PSU's ability to deliver constant voltage. Many 400w PSU's actually deliver lower contant current than some 'quality' 250 w supplies...... [Eek!] [Wink]

Banned
    if you read the page @ asus web site http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7m266-d/overview.htm

it clearly states : ATX Form-factor and Minimum 400W ATX 2.03 Power Supply

The minimum requirement for full-power loading is a 400 Watt ATX 12V power supply; minimum requirement for +5V/3.3V is 180 Watts; +12 Volts requires 15 Amps; 5VSB requires 1 Amp. Also Ensure that the ATX power supply can put out at least 10mA on the +5 Volt standby lead (+5vsb). You may experience difficuly powering ON the system if the power supply cannot support the load. For Wake-On-LAN support, your ATX power supply must supply at least 720mA for +5VSB.

if you wish to build this machine with a 200 / 250 /300 /350 w power supply you can ,,,,,

A: if the mfg recommends somthing , I would expect a reason for it (the don,t mfg psu,s do they ?)

B: it u run it on any of the above psu (when u have been advise BY THE MFG to use 400w) ,,,,don,t expect your warrenty to be valid

FtF

Actually, there are a lot of "noname" 400 Wt PSU selling nowadays, what in fact rather 250Wt max.
    That's why very important to get really good PSU from one of approved brand manufacturers. Most of self--employed system builders knows them and using only well-known brands ...

I even had posted special topic (You know) ,"how to" differenciate good and cheap PSUs, but my topic disappeared as well as some of Yours (after updating the UBB).

I even had posted special topic (You know) ,"how to" differenciate good and cheap PSUs, but my topic disappeared as well as some of Yours (after updating the UBB).
    Not again .... ...... ......

(hey! - half my emoticons don't work!)

Can I pick holes with you Freddy (again-sorry!) but if Asus want a 15 amp supply to the +- 12v how the f are they gonna manage that from a supply that's only 13 amp, that's not really a PSU anymore but a transduccer or whatever the hey its called as its increasing ampage....

The critical figure you quote is the 180w this is the guaranteed maintained current that the m/b needs, you don't need a 400 watt supply for that, that is the peak load it can supply not what it can maintain....

I will spell it out - a 400 watt supply means it can handle peak load of 400w without dissolving in a puff of smoke- this gives no indication of the level of maintained current the unit can supply this figure is NOTHING to do with the peak load it can carry!

That's the end of my little rant

Originally posted by confus-ed

The critical figure you quote is the 180w this is the guaranteed maintained current that the m/b needs, you don't need a 400 watt supply for that, that is the peak load it can supply not what it can maintain....

Actually, 180Wt - it's max combine load for +5,+12 and +3,3V channels, which are located on the same shared heatsink.
    Compare - 235 Wt PSU should have 125 Wt max load for those channels. Actually, difference isn't very big...but...
    Heatsink's size and component's types used for output channels are very important thing.

If You have enough experience and skills, You can replace some of the components with their more powerful analogous, and thus, reduce overheating and increase output power.
    For example, replacing 2x20A Shottky double-diode for 2X40A one can decrease overheating and step up the output power.
    But it's not all You can (and should) do in case if You want to mod the PSU...

Banned

Re: minimum wattage for dual AMD

Originally posted by Fiv
    can i get someone to tell me the minimum wattage i can run a dual AMD MP system,
    for assus a7m266d
    or tyan dual (cah remember the name) not da 1 with 2 network ports, the single network port board.
    If u dont know what i talking bout, for the tyan, den jus answer for the asus

asus has the info req. on there website ,,,as posted above.

this link refers directly to the m/board you mention.

as well as listening (well reading) comments by people on this forum , it would be advisable to read the Mfg recommendations.

now I am not quoting a figue (i and ruslan both know the answer) ,,,THE QUOTE IS FROM THE MFg. OF THE BOARD so therefore I would appresiate it if people are going to pick arguaments , then send them to ASUS not me

If I did not know the tech specs of an unbranded PSU ,,I would use a branded model with the info clearly stated on the box/lid ,,,and check AMDs website to see if it has obtained approval ,,

If the PSU is rated @400w and is on AMD s approved list you should have no problems.

FtF