Opinions on Track-It!

Thread: Opinions on Track-It!

Question Opinions on Track-It!

What is the consensus on Track-It by Blue Ocean Software as a management, inventory, auditing and help desk program?

I've never heard of it and we're looking at deploying it on 600+ PCs.

I need your opinions quickly, please.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

I have a demo version and didn't really go through it. It seems like a inventory software that will list out whatever hardware and software install in your pc. If the software is not listed in the database, you can manually add it.

We've useed it at one place I've worked and it's the bigest crock o crap I've seen to date.
    Virtually imposible to keep updated properly. If you planning on using the "Last service history" function on print outs for field tecs you better print the last 2 as it's always behind by one. Inventory managment is a headach.
    I could go on and on. I've got info on another program that looks a lot more promising back at the shop. I'll dig it up and post it for you here later.

Need I say more. It looks like something you'de expect Microsoft to write!

The other program I've been looking at is C.O.P.E. from
    River Cities Software (817) 274-5808
    P.O. Box 150865
    Arlington, Tx. 76015
    <a href="http://www.river-cities.com" target="_blank">www.river-cities.com</a>

You might want to have a look yourself, and have the know it alls in charge give it a look see too.
    It is a bit costlier than Track-It, but then it's just wasted money if you have to buy another because it dosen't do what you need, or want.

[quote]Originally posted by KWB Teck:
    <strong>it's the bigest crock o crap I've seen to date.

Need I say more. It looks like something you'de expect Microsoft to write!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I second that emotion! I only used it for a few months; I found Track-IT to be much less desireable than even some of the home made UNIX systems...

I suggest Remedy for your solutions...very scalable. I am a Remedy Developer and I have not found one thing it cant do.

<www.remedy.com>

Raven
    Raven

Quote:
    --------
    "Dont whiz on the electric fence"
    - Ren & Stimpy.

Raven any chance you have a demo of it available for review?

Question

Can Remedy offer inventory acquisition and management? How about SMS integration?

Its one of the big features we're looking for.

We already have SMS 2.0 installed and scanning the network every 2 weeks for software and hardware inventory (alternate weeks), but for some reason my superior doesn't want to use it as it stands.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Yes to both questions...there are demo's available for download at <a href="http://www.remedy.com" target="_blank">www.remedy.com</a> and yes it has full ability for all integrations. It may sound like I am a salesman, but I am just a developer that knows what it can do. I have 5 certifications with the product and have had some advanced training. Try it - I think you might be surprised.
    Raven

Quote:
    --------
    "Dont whiz on the electric fence"
    - Ren & Stimpy.

I agree with all of the above. We have had Track-it for almost two years and unfortunatly I suggested it. It is a headache to customize for your needs, the support (while always available) is ...well kinda degrading. Everytime I've called I have hung up with a bad taste in my mouth for their company.It does an OK job of software auditing (doubles alot of apps like 4 instance of Acrobat Reader on a machine). The hardware audit works good if you need to say see what the bios version is on various machines. The biggest anoyance has been the trouble you have to go through when you move a machine to another user. I would say try the demo of it and the others suggested here. Oh, and here is another one to check out...http://www.soffront.com/S03/default.html
    When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. -- Deep Thought by Jack Handey