Connecting Windows 2000 PC to NT4 Domain

Thread: Connecting Windows 2000 PC to NT4 Domain

Post Connecting Windows 2000 PC to NT4 Domain

I hope I am right in assuming that a Windows 2000 PC will authenticate to an NT 4 domain. I am having that problem now. The computer can browse the network, ping all servers, and access network resources. But it will not let me insert it into our domain which is entirely comprised of NT 4 servers. I am new to Windows 2000, so forgive me if this is an easy question. I have inserted the correct lmhosts file and the PC has an account in the domain. Any suggestions?

Lightbulb

Have you installed SP2 on your W2K station? You can also take a look at this article.
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/3/48.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=authenticate%20windows%202000%20 NT%20domain&rnk=52&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=MSAL L" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/3/48.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=authenticate%20windows%202000%20 NT%20domain&rnk=52&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=MSAL L</a>

Lightbulb

what you need to do is the domain server administrator account. You will need to make a account the same as the administrator account on the domain server on the windows 2000 machine and then login with the account you made. (note make the account have admin rights) now try to put the computer on the domain.

I have this problem with all my windows 2000 computers.

Windows 2000 wants the real admin rights from the domain server. This is the only way it will work.

ex:
    Domain Server Admin Account: F00
    Domain Server Admin Password Account: FOO32

Windows 2k Admin Account: F00
    Windows 2k Admin Password Account: F0032

win2k login
    Login:F00
    Password:F0032

Put win2k on domain (doamin F00Domain)
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

Has the PC been added to Server administrator? It can be added to the domain from the PC itself, but would require an account of a user that has the ability to add a new computer to the domain. You will not need the PDC local admin, or domain admins, but of course these logins have the ability to add a PC...If you already have an account, as you stated, try removing the account from server administrator, and readd the PC.

For some reason, on certain machines, I've had this problem. I resolved it by adding Ipx/spx, then joining the domain, then removing ipx again.
    I would have no problems doing anything except joining the domain.
    Compaq sux!

Question

first thing to do is login as administrator on the win2k machine, then connect to nt4 domain from my network places, when it ask for account info enter the system admin info of the nt4 network, only sysadmin of a network can join a new w2k machine to a existing network, after it says welcome to such-in-such domain, go to control panel, then users, and add your user that you already created on the nt4 server, and you are probably going to what to give that user a PowerUser privilage unless you had real confid'tl
    information, this will help aleviate a lot of problems with w2k to nt4. then you can restart the machine.
    Microsoft has combined the strengths of its three most powerful OS's to create the next generation OS:

Windows CE, Windows ME, Windows NT
    Windows CE-ME-NT
    Hard as a rock and dumb as a brick - Author Unknown