Hot Glue !!!

Thread: Hot Glue !!!

Post Hot Glue !!!

Whats your thoghts on gluing IDE cables to their sockets. Do I do it, or don't I ?

A pain to get off, but at least they don't move in transit.

------------------
    feel free to comment on my website. http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

I'm sorry Paul, but I dissagree.
    If we start gluing IDE cables, we should then start gluing everything!
    Besides that, it we will have to face the trouble of getting them of when needed.

Some time ago, we used to glue AGP cards at work, because most of them were not working after a month.
    All I can say is that it's too much trouble when you need to get them off.

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Don't do it! I actually changed suppliers of prebuilt systems because they wouldn't discontinue the use of the hot glue. They started out using it in moderation but then went too far. The only way to disconnect an IDE cable was to break it. I wouldn't even get started using it.

GirlGeek

Cool

I agree with everyone...don't do it! All it does is make those of us that work on the system next cuss out the guy with the hot glue gun. I can understand the temptation but in the long run it's not worth it...so please..I'm begging you.

------------------
    Now...if I could only defrag my brain...

Sorry folks, but every computer that goes out my door is shipped UPS so if ain't hot glued then it ain't gonna work. We don't sell to the public we sell to golf clubs to go along with our custom software. If the club has a problem with the computer we ship them out a replacement immediatly so they never have to take it to a repair shop so you folks don't have to worry about taking IDE cables off .

I would have to say hot glue it when you start running into problems(shipping or the tinkering customer that has no clue).
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

My standard operating procedure is this... If I have to ship it then I use 'some' hotglue to hold a few things in place. If the customer is picking it up in the shop or I am bringing it to them then no hot glue. I show them in the shop that it works and tell them to be careful with it or I make sure that it works before I leave the site. The majority of my sales I like to set the actual computer up at their house for them to make sure everything works. Plus it's a nice little extra money you can charge.
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

tregee

Just a suggestion, but insted of hot glue why don't you just use a really good double stick tape? Easy to get off when you really need to rip it out with minor force, and if your not trying to rip it out intentionally then it will stay forever.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paul cunningham:
    Whats your thoghts on gluing IDE cables to their sockets. Do I do it, or don't I ?

A pain to get off, but at least they don't move in transit.

</font>
    I have seen a silicone based glue or caulk. A little bead around cards and cables will hold them, then when you are ready to remove it, just peel the bead off. It works really well and nothing is permanent. Best of all it hold the AGP card better in the older MOBO's. I definatly would not hot glue.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

I won't deal with a place that uses hot glue. I destroyed too many parts trying to get them out of a system with hot glue!!

I have to agree with the majority here! Hot glue is not the way to go. If you are haveing trouble shipping stuff maybe find an alternative. If you absolutely have to use hot glue, use it very carefully. I was at a shop where a computer actually burst into flames because someone had went nuts with hot glue and had left all kinds of strings, which rested against something hot and caught fire!

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Just glue the covers on and keeps those customers out of there.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

Hotglue is a NO NO

If you are shipping it, use IDE cables with secure ends. (little plastic olders on the connectors) Costs fifty cents more but looks a lot nicer than glue
    ---
    Jon Hutto