NT Boot Problem

Thread: NT Boot Problem

Red face NT Boot Problem

Do any of you know if there is a way to set the pagefile for NT 4.0 workstation via a boot disk.

Problem: User set pagefile to 0. Can't get NT to come up and stay up long enough to change the page file back. Either blue screens or reboots.

I would like to try to reset the page file in either an .ini file or something like that. Or configure it from a boot disk.

No, there is not an ERD. Would the REPAIR reset the registry so that this pc will loose its network and application settings?

Thanks!!!
    Tina Tysinger
    MCSE, MCDBA, CNA

Safe mode doesn't even work???????

Is the HD in that system set as a fat16 partition or NTFS?????

I could be wrong in this area, but I do believe if you repair the registry it will change it back to what it was when it was last saved. So you could lose those settings.

If you have the time, make a duplicate image of the current hd in there and copy that image to another hd for the time being to test that option out without losing all that info.
    See what happens.

[quote]Originally posted by bohr:
    <strong>Safe mode doesn't even work???????
    </strong><hr></blockquote>
    The Beloved NT does not have "Safe Mode".
    The correct workaround is to add sufficeient memory to the system (somewhat +128Mb), So NT Won't have to look for the Swapfile.

Good Luck - and Kill that user.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel:
    <strong>
    The Beloved NT does not have "Safe Mode".
    The correct workaround is to add sufficeient memory to the system (somewhat +128Mb), So NT Won't have to look for the Swapfile.

Good Luck - and Kill that user.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry! I haven't touched NT 4.0 for the past year and a 1/2, probably because I use win2kpro more than ever.
    Guess I'll need to reload it and refresh my memory again. Sorry for the mistake!

actually it does,

or an nt equivelant:

vga mode
    Compaq sux!

restore "last know good" if you have not logged in yet, if you have you can use a rescue disk, or a nt recover disk to edit the boot.ini file on c: changet he page file size as approperat to get system to boot.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.