[RESOLVED] TCP/IP Issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] TCP/IP Issue

dlp111

Resolved [RESOLVED] TCP/IP Issue

I have to install a router on our network. One problem, On our LAN side of it (other side will be connected to an integrator) I have to use an address scheme given to us from our T-carrier so we can setup our mail server to go out over the T. I have a solution. Change the subnet mask for our network from 255.255.255.0 to 224.0.0.0 I've tried it on one workstation and it can communicate perfectly. Well, Ive been told by one person that it will cause serious performance issues. I was told by another person it shouldn't affect it. I would like to here your opinions, facts, ideas. Thanks

changing the Submnetmask from 255.255.255.0 to 224.0.0.0 will seriously change the TCP/IP probertys of your network! by changing it to 224.0.0.0 you have changed your network class to "a" from "c" placing this system in an entirly different network in the TCP/IP scheme of things. TCP/IP may not communicate properly with other systems in your domain, and may cause serious performance issues for your domian controler, and hubs(network trafic is going to go though the roof while everything figures out what the hell is going on!)

selecting 224.0.0.0 has also limited the number of systems you can have on this address, instad of 254 systems you can now have something like 30 in this address range.

if you have a specified address fo the T conenction, place the T connection on 1 side of the roughter, configured as specified. configure the other side of the router "gateway" to match your existing network (with its own IP address, ect. but maching subnet mask to the rest of the systems). the "gateway" now becomes a translator betwween the 2. After this point my knowlege gets a litle sckechy. I think you configure your software teh then access your side of the gateway, and it passes it right on though. im problay worng though. let me know ,and I'll look it up.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.