CD-ROM won't play music CD
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CD-ROM won't play music CD

Post CD-ROM won't play music CD

I thought I'd listen to some tunes while I worked today, but my CD-ROM or my sound card isn't working correctly. The CD I'm trying to play HAS worked before. I put the CD in and the software shows that it is playing, but no sound comes out. I've tried Windows's CD-Player and WinAmp with neither working. The speaker and sound card work because I played system sounds and other multimedia on the computer. Anyone have an idea to what this is?
    "I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn."

Potential Bumper Sticker: "Wiggle your mouse, it's just a screensaver."

is the audio cable connected from the cd-rom to the sound card? Also, I had this happen once and dont know why, but I one time had to go in and choose the correct prefered device for winamp to get it to run. Only had that happen once. Usually was fine off install. Anyway, those are my ideas. Hope it helps.

[quote]Originally posted by Sandman72:
    <strong>is the audio cable connected from the cd-rom to the sound card? Also, I had this happen once and dont know why, but I one time had to go in and choose the correct prefered device for winamp to get it to run. Only had that happen once. Usually was fine off install. Anyway, those are my ideas. Hope it helps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah I checked the audio cable; it's fine. Where do you go in WinAmp to choose the prefered device?

its been a while but I dont recall if I had to set it for sure in windows or in winamp...any way it would be in wiamp preferences,plugins, output. select the plugins from the list in the right pane. click configure. from there you can choose from a drop down menu in each plug in.

[quote]Originally posted by Sandman72:
    <strong>its been a while but I dont recall if I had to set it for sure in windows or in winamp...any way it would be in wiamp preferences,plugins, output. select the plugins from the list in the right pane. click configure. from there you can choose from a drop down menu in each plug in.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, I went to plugings, output, and selected each plugin and went to configure to configure it. Two of them asked for a file, and two let me select select my sound card. I selected it, but still nothing happens. I didn't mess with any other configurations except the selection of the sound card.

Also try volume control and make sure the cd audio isnt muted.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams

[quote]Originally posted by jaeger:
    <strong>Also try volume control and make sure the cd audio isnt muted.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I looked and it isn't

Do you have two cd drives? check in control panel/multimedia to see which one is your default drive for playing cds
    THERE ARE THINGS KNOWN AND THINGS UNKNOWN AND IN BETWEEN ARE THE DOORS!

Arrow

I have had users with this problem and usually deleting the CDRom and letting Winblows find it again will correct it. USUALLY.
    On the other hand, you have different fingers...

[quote]Originally posted by M*A*S*H*R:
    <strong>I have had users with this problem and usually deleting the CDRom and letting Winblows find it again will correct it. USUALLY. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be deleting the CD in Device Manager.

On the other hand, you have different fingers...

Hello Everyone, For some reason, on some systems you have to use the (modem volume) in the volume control panel! Open up and move the slider to full and also make sure it is not muted! Hope this helps, PSJ

Back to Basics...
    CDROMs Ususally have HeadPhone Jack, Play, Eject, Volume in the front.
    connect regullar Headphone to the jack and Listen to Audio Directly through the CD.
    If there is no Audio, so the Problem is definetly on the CDROM Drive.
    If there is Audio So the Problem is Spreaded from Cable to Sound Card, Driver, Mixer Settings, Application.

I would recommend Checking this Simple thing before going any further.

P.s. What Sound Card do you have.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

[quote]Originally posted by Gabriel:
    <strong>Back to Basics...
    CDROMs Ususally have HeadPhone Jack, Play, Eject, Volume in the front.
    connect regullar Headphone to the jack and Listen to Audio Directly through the CD.
    If there is no Audio, so the Problem is definetly on the CDROM Drive.
    If there is Audio So the Problem is Spreaded from Cable to Sound Card, Driver, Mixer Settings, Application.

I would recommend Checking this Simple thing before going any further.

P.s. What Sound Card do you have.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't have any headphones available to me right now. I did download a mp3 to test it on Winamp and it worked. I leaning towards something in the CD-ROM being messed up.

Cool

Well, some older CD drives have problems with newer methods of burning through CDR's. You'll find the great majority of these probs with car cd players, but also with PC drives as well.

One thing I would suggest is to see if you can get a firmware upgrade for the CD drive that you have.

Here's some stuff that is from CDRFAQ.ORG that explains it in way more detail than I care to explain. =)

For more info, <a href="http://www.cdrfaq.org" target="_blank">http://www.cdrfaq.org</a>

Subject: [4-23] Having trouble playing an audio CD in a home or car player
    (2001/07/09)
    There are a few possibilities. First and foremost is media compatibility. Not all players get along with all brands of CD-R media. You need to find a combination of recorder, media, and player that get along. Read section (7-2) to learn more. A CD-R media identifier (like the one listed in section (6-2-9)) can help you be sure that you're trying discs from different manufacturers, but they aren't 100% reliable (section (2-33)).

If you're trying to use CD-RW media, your odds of success are worse than with CD-R. CD-RW discs simply won't play on most CD players.

Another common problem is failing to close the disc at the end of writing. You can't play an audio CD on a common CD player until the session has been closed. You may be able to play it back with the CD recorder though. Also, don't forget that you have to write all of the audio data into the first session of a multisession CD. CD players don't know how to find the later sessions, so tracks written there won't get played.

Sometimes the CD player will spin the disc up but won't start playing it. Sometimes it will have no problem playing the tracks, but will have a great deal of difficulty seeking between tracks or moving fast-forward. Using a different brand of media or a different CD player may produce better results.

If you're getting skips and jumps, make sure that you don't have anti-skip protection enabled. This is usually only available on portable or car players, and you may not be able to disable it on car players. Car CD players are notoriously picky about media. See also section (4-40).

One user with a Jensen car CD stereo was unable to use blanks immediately after recording them. After a couple of days, the discs suddenly started working. This "delayed finalizing" behavior appears consistently repeatable, not a one-time event. Recording at 1x instead of 4x resulted in discs that were immediately usable.

Some media works better at 1x, 2x, or 4x than it does at other speeds. You may find that slowing down or speeding up the recorder helps.

If the disc plays okay at first and starts sounding bad later, or it sounds okay on the first few tracks but gets noisy toward the end of the disc, see section (4-47).

Finally, remember that you have to write the disc in CD-DA format! If you just write a bunch of .WAV files to a disc in CD-ROM format, it's not going to work in your home stereo.

Subject: [4-24] Having trouble using a CD-ROM on a different machine
    (2000/01/03)
    As with audio CDs, discussed in the previous section, there are several possibilities. The media compatibility issues mentioned above apply to CD-ROM as well.

If you're using CD-RW media rather than CD-R media, you have to be sure that the CD-ROM drive in question is MultiRead compliant. Some older drives are able to read CD-RW media, but most are not.

If the disc was written using a packet writing application like DirectCD (where you format a disc and then copy files directly to it, instead of creating a disc layout and recording a whole bunch of stuff at once), some CD-ROM drives will stumble on packet boundaries. Refer to section (4-21) for information and a possible workaround.

If a packet-written disc was closed in ISO-9660 Level 3 format, it won't be usable on systems that don't support ISO-9660 level 3 (e.g. DOS). If the disc was *not* closed as ISO-9660, and is still in UDF, you will need a UDF driver; see sections (6-3) and (6-4) for an overview and pointers to free drivers.

I've tried both a CD-R and a store bought CD, and neither worked. I know store bought CDs are just CD-Rs, but I figured they would be burned in the correct format.