[RESOLVED] USB/LAN Drivers for PC100 Motherboard

Thread: [RESOLVED] USB/LAN Drivers for PC100 Motherboard

LOTL

Post USB/LAN Drivers for PC100 Motherboard

Hi All,
    Recently formatted friends system, and reinstalled Win98.
    Was able to get the majority of the drivers i needed from http://www.pcchips.com/
    Most of the drivers did the trick, except the USB and LAN drivers.
    System hangs when i try to install either one. MB has jumper to enable LAN, which is in the right position, USB has been enabled in the BIOS.
    Tried installing Client for MS Networks first, but no go. If i let the system sit for a few minuets, i do eventually get a File system error, something about unable to access cab files etc.
    Any ideas or better drivers would be appreciated.
    MB Model # M741LMRT

[This message has been edited by LOTL (edited January 21, 2001).]

J_Man

To get the USB working properley, make sure it's enabled in the BIOS. If it is, windows should detect something to do with the USB but not be able to install drivers. The drivers are actually part of the chipset software available from PC Chips (Shudder) or from SIS's website. You'lle also fine the video driver here as well.

As far as the network card is concerned, it will be either a davicom or something (can't remember but may have been SIS again) but you can check it on the cip it's self located along the back edge of the mobo. Tha manual will actually point it out. Once you now what NIC chip you have, download the correct one from PC Chips.

Goodluck (you'll need it with a pcchips mobo)

------------------
    <<< Sh!t happens >>>

LOTL

Thanks J_Man,
    I had enabled USB in the bios, but didnt bother to enable the usb dos support.
    When i enabled both, that did the trick for getting the USB working. I wasnt even prompted for the USB drivers, and your right it was part of the SIS package.
    But im still stuck on the LAN, the chip is a Davicom chip (DM9102F), and i have gone to thier website, and those are the drivers i have tried using. I have also tried the drivers from here, and also from pcchips website. All cause the system to hang.
    Go figure????

J_Man

May be a silly question but have you enabled the LAN chip on the Motherboard. There should be a jumper (actually 2 from memory)near the chip its self.

Also, you may need to completley re-install all your networking components, including cleaning out the registry. Failing that, re-install windows from scratch.

------------------
    <<< Sh!t happens >>>

LOTL

Yes LAN jumper is in the correct position, and PCI Ethernet Controller is recognized when Windows starts.
    I did read the following in one of the Davicom readme files.
    "Installation:
    =============

Before starting with the installation process, make sure that the adapter
    is properly installed and configured. You can use the diagnostic program
    (A:\DIAG9102.EXE) in DOS mode to make sure your connection with the network is
    correct.
    (i used this diagnostic program, and the card is indentified, i dont think that i actually need to be connected to a network in order for the driver to be correctly installed or do i?)

1. Turn the power of your PC on to boot from WIN98. WIN98 may
    auto-detect your new adapter installed, and the "New Hardware Found"
    dialogue box will appear. Select "Driver from disk provided by hardware
    manufacturer" to install driver from the diskette that come with your
    lan adapter.

Note: If your new adapter is not detected by WIN98, you can open
    "My Computer" -> "Control Panel" -> "Networks" after WIN98 comes up,
    and select "Add adapter" -> "Have disk" to install driver from the
    diskette that come with your lan adapter.

2. Insert the driver diskette into your floppy drive, and specify the
    path of the driver in the diskette(i.e. A:\WIN98) to copy the driver
    files to your system.

3. Select "DAVICOM PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (DM9102)", and start to copy the driver
    files to your system.

4. When the driver installation is completed, restart WIN98.

5. Note: Select Item
    DAVICOM PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (DM9102) - Don't check Sub System/Vendor ID.
    DAVICOM 9102 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Must have correct Sub System/Vendor ID.

J_Man

OK if the diag program detected the davicom chip, the hardware should be OK. We need to look more closely on how you are installing your network components. You should have at least the folloeing installed under network properties;
    Client for MS Networks
    Dialup Adapter
    Davicom Adapter
    TCP/IP ---> Dialup Adapter
    TCP/IP ---> Davicom Adapter
    File & printer sharing.

I wouldn't suggest any other protocols except fot IPX/SPX for network games (ask me about it if you need to).

It would be a good idea to remove every network component, reboot the PC then when the new hardware wizard runs, install the network card, reboot, then go back into net properties and add the client and protocols. Once again let the PC reboot (Bloody windows. In order to see your PC under network neighbourhood, you have to share a folder somewhere. If the PC is still locking when you add the net drivers, try disabeling the sound and USB ud=nder device manager then try again.

Lets see how it goes!!!

------------------
    <<< Sh!t happens >>>

LOTL

Well you had be thinking, i tried all of what you said, and when nothing worked, i decided to install the following network components.
    Client for MS Networks
    Existing Ndis2 Driver (adapter)
    a second tcp/ip protocol
    After rebooting, it saw the PCI Ethernet Controller as usual, and then i directed it to the Davicom drivers, it installed those and was able to access the windows cd to complete the install.
    Man what a pain, and to think that my friend may never even use the network connection.
    Now i tried to disable the Ethernet card in the device manager, to see if that would speed up booting the computer. It didnt, and im not sure if i should remove a few things from the Network properties or not. Any thoughts?
    Oh yes thanks for sticking with this, you kept me from giving up as well.