[RESOLVED] BIOS ROM checksum error...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] BIOS ROM checksum error...

negativity

Angry BIOS ROM checksum error...

I'm getting this error on a BE6-II. I've discharged the cmos and everything. Everytime it boots up it asks for the system disk, then after that it just says no drives found etc. I keep getting this error and i'm wondering if i have a bad EPROM and should try and replace the board. Any ideas? I've also replaced the battery, no go...

If you have a new hard drive, you need to boot with a boot disk and set up a partition on your hard drive.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

negativity

Harddrive isn't new =( it's full of info since april 2000. I'm trying to get ahold of abit but i see that "we can't reply to everyone bs". I sent them an email and will see what happens. Any good bootdisks you can recommend? Only boot that i can get to work as of now is the winME startup disk and won't go to a prompt. =(

R. Giskard Reventlov

Get a Windows 98 SYSTEM DISK. This disk can only be made in Windows 98 (not ME or 2000). Insert a formatted floppy and right-click A: drive in My Computer, click format. Choose, copy system files only. Goto:

http://www.abit-usa.com/english/index.htm

Download BIOS update to deasktop for BE6-II or BE6-II V2.0 (determine which one is yours, they have different BIOS updates...this may be what u did wrong in the first place, wrong BIOS flash). Execute file on desktop and it will expand. Copy all files except for original to the floppy. Put floppy in ur PC and startup. Pray it gets to the command prompt. Re-flash the BIOS. Note: To determine what ur motherboard is exactly, u may have to open up the case and look at the writing on the board. Abit boards usually have large White letters starting with AB...ex. AB-BE6-II.
    GOOD LUCK!

phtal

Cool

If your having trouble getting a bootdisk try bootdisk.com on the net.

Paul

Stupid Question. Have you detected the right HDD in BIOS?

Paul

[This message has been edited by phtal (edited January 22, 2001).]

negativity

Red face

Can't get into the bios due to this error....gah!

One of the more obvious questions....Are the settings in Standard Settings for Primary master and slave, Secondary master and slave turned back on to 'AUTO'?

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

DarkWish

He can't get into the BIOS to set up his hard drive in the first place. BIOS ROM Checksum error means his BIOS is screwed and is booting from boot block.

Giskard is correct. You need to make a boot disk so you can reflash the BIOS.

StevePorter

Red face

Your BIOS may be fried. A few years ago, I lost the BIOS programming on an Asus motherboard. With the BIOS programming trashed, I could never get it to boot so I could re-flash the BIOS (it's the old "chicken-and-the-egg" thing). I had no choice but to buy a new BIOS chip from a supplier. It didn't cost much, but what a hassle! This may be your problem...

------------------
    You want the right answer?!? You must be asleep, 'cuz you're dreamin'...

[This message has been edited by StevePorter (edited January 23, 2001).]

This may be the easiest way out .....if it won't boot from floppy.

http://www.badflash.com/

DarkWish

If the reflash doesn't cure it, then it could be a bad BIOS chip. A replacement chip from ABIT is about $12.

Originally posted by DarkWish:
    He can't get into the BIOS to set up his hard drive in the first place. BIOS ROM Checksum error means his BIOS is screwed and is booting from boot block.

Giskard is correct. You need to make a boot disk so you can reflash the BIOS.

Yes, but a BIOS checksum error on a cold-boot usually prompts you for F1 to continue or F2 to go to CMOS and change the settings. In fact, on first boot after a flash you SHOULD get this error on an ABIT board with Soft Menu enabled.

In this case if he is indeed unable to get into BIOS, then he won't be able to boot to a floppy so the options become fewer--order a new BIOS chip, RMA the board, hot flash the board with a BIOS chip borrowed from another board....Since the original post suggests that the system is trying to boot normally (which couldn't happened with a damaged BIOS), I question whether negativity understands how to get into the BIOS setup "Can't get into the bios due to this error....gah!" since the drive search/access would come AFTER the opportunity to hit the DEL key and enter BIOS setup....

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?

[This message has been edited by sowulo (edited January 24, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by sowulo (edited January 24, 2001).]

negativity

To the above poster, yes i know all about doing the bios i've built more systems than i care to admit. It's in Bootlock atm and there's not an option to hit the del, f1, etc...only thing it will do is boot from a winME disk which does me no good since when i arrive at the 4options, i cannot hit 4 to go to "minimal boot" to the A rompt. It loads all drivers and the RAM drive. I've looked it over and it will not detect any drive. I'm wondering if it will allow a boot from another floppy i.e. earlier windows. I've downloaded various boot disks and receive multiple errors of why it won't boot. On cold boot it says "bootlock..." "BIOS ROM checksum error" insert system disk and hit any key. I've emailed Abit but it's a bunch of bs and damn near impossible to get in touch with them "sorry we can't answer everything" Well my damn bored don't work atm so i expect a reply. Thx for all yours guys help, i'm going to work on it alot tomorrow night after work, i just haven't had the time to do it as of late.

DarkWish

Is it the BE6-II or BE6-II V2.0 that you have?

Thanks for hanging in there through all the questions and comments--I'm just trying to help. If you haven't tried a win98 boot floppy yet (I think that's what you said) then do so. If it will read your WinMe boot floppy it should read a 98 floppy as well only the 98 floppy will get you to an A: prompt where you can once again attempt to flash the BIOS etc. and get yourself back in the fast lane.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?