Just a Quick One

Thread: Just a Quick One

Cool Just a Quick One

As the title says I just need a confirmation.

A machine I am working on won't boot. The PSU starts up and the CPU fan goes round, but the computer won't POST. No beeps, no display, nothing.

Is it the Chip or a broken mobo??

AMD Slot A Athlon 750
    PC Chips (Yes I know....) Slot A M800LMR Motherboard.

Thanks,
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Gonna be hard to track down without some kind of spare parts to try. You can check the voltage outputs with a multimeter to see if you're getting all the neccessary voltages, but to be honest, if the power comes on when you hit the button, the power must be good. If you're getting no beeps or nothing, i'd hazard an educated guess that there's something wrong with the board of processor. Just double check it's nothing silly like the back of the board shorting on a rogue screw of fixing post, make sure the cmos clear jumper isn't shorted and make sure you don't require your memory in slot 1when it's in slot 3, and make sure your processor is correctly seated, since slot a's are a pain in the arse.

Cool

Thanks for the advice, it's the first time I've used a Slot A (and will be the last...)

The memory seems fine, I've double checked the slots, and removed the board from the case to check for shorts (that's what I thought it may be).

The way the board is not beeping has me stumped, I have purposely disabled boards before to train other people, and they have always beeped or done something. Will keep trying anyway. (there hasn't been a computer yet that has beaten me...)

I have something similar to this, whenever my monitor isn't right connected... sometimes I think my voodoo3 has a prob - it just won't boot 1/30th of the time (no beep, nothing), next time it always does.

List of problems with motherboards,what wont boot and no beeps:
    1. Jumper was set in clear CMOS position (quite common with new PCChips MoBos).
    2. Bad CPU core and/or I/O voltage regulator.
    Check all voltages using voltmeter.
    3. Bad flash chip - try to reflash it using another motherboard as host.

Or RMA motherboard,if it new one.

Cool

Eurekkkaaa.....

Thanks to Farkyss and Ruslan, this problem is no more. Yes the CMOS jumper to set to clear (How did I miss that one) and the CPU wasnt' seated correctly (D'oh, slapped forehead).

Thanks guys, (It's always the simple ones that get ya!)