[RESOLVED] cd rom not detected by bios

Thread: [RESOLVED] cd rom not detected by bios

logixtekz

Question cd rom not detected by bios

The comps an intel 1430vx, Pentium-s 100, 32mb ram, a 3 1/2 and 5 1/4 floppy, award bios and a double speed mitsumi cd drive that uses an isa cd rom controller/sound card.
    I reformatted the HD and then went to boot with a boot disk, and found that it had no cd drive detected, I set the bios to auto detect and still no good, the drive works and all cables are connected correctly. I have done this before with no problems on other comps. Do I need to use a different cd rom driver on the boot disk, and if so, which one?

Thanks

BrianC

Lightbulb

With some older machines I've had the same problem and have just made a habit of loading a generic CD-ROM IDE/ATAPI interface set of drivers after loading DOS.

Then, as long as the DOS drivers are there, I've had no problem.

If you need one of these I could send it to you. good luck

Not sure exactly which model Mitsumi you are using, but you may want to try here: http://www.mitsumi.com/enduser/1_drivers.html#CD-ROM

logixtekz

Right on, if you could send me a driver it would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

If it IDE CD Drive like FX001D - it's not needed to connect this drive using Sound card. Connect this Drive directly on second IDE port and You can boot it from bootable CD. BTW, BIOS have to see Your drive in this case.
    If it Drive with generic Mitsumi interface,
    specific driver should be used.

Your CD drive model?

Hmmm. A bit strange... Pentium MoBo have to see IDE device on IDE controller connected...
    Are You sure,what You correctly plugged IDE cable (I mean polarity). Are You tried to replace IDE cable?

And... What Sound card are You using? Probably You have to find drivers for Your card and configure card for using card' IDE connector.

Question

Ohh,why You deleted Your post?

pga

Originally posted by logixtekz:
    Right on, if you could send me a driver it would be much appreciated.
    umm... i hate to flame, but that's being a bit lazy.

most of the time running the add hardware wizard works, and with weird MKE/Panasonic drives, Sony drives, or Mitsumi, Windows can handle it... sometimes there are weird jumper settings on the card or drive... to avoid downloading a DOS driver, if you throw in an ide cd-rom to load windows and then swap out the ide cd-rom with the other cd-rom and run the hardware wizard this will solve your problem.

not sure what Ruslan was talking about with a deleted post... if it's an IDE drive, he's right you shouldn't need a driver (even with broken English, although I'm sure my Russian would be far, far, far worse!)

But i find it a bit rude to ask someone to help, then ask them to do the rest of the work for you.

This would be like my asking about a cpu problem and then telling the tech who told me it was a bad cpu to RMA it for me and send me a new one....

most of the guys helping out here, help out as a courtesy, but requesting they do your work for you... ummm that's overstepping the boundaries....

Sorry, don't mean to complain, but 70% of the techs here don't get paid enough and requesting that a tech email drivers that a link was provided for is pretty bad.

Sorry,... but hey... I just feel that way

[This message has been edited by pga (edited October 19, 2000).]

Exclamation

Just a note:
    DON'T POST THE SAME QUESTIONS ON MORE THAN ONE FORUMS!

Sooner or later you'll get an answer on ONE single forum!!!
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/000730.html

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Originally posted by pga:
    Sorry, don't mean to complain, but 70% of the techs here don't get paid enough and requesting that a tech email drivers that a link was provided for is pretty bad.
    I agree with you PGA but, in this case I think he was replying to the post before the link from BrianC who offered to send him the drivers. (although they probably won't work since it sounds like it's not an IDE cdrom).

ChrisP

OK -- here's what you need to do. Look at the rear of the drive, next to where the ribbon cable plugs in, and take note of how the jumpers are identified. If the jumpers are labeled "MA, SL, and CS", the drive is a standard IDE ATAPI drive and should be connected directly to the IDE bus for detection by windows and the W95 setup boot disk. Windows should have native support for these drives.

If, however, the jumpers are labeled "0, 1, 2, 3" or somesuch, OR if there are no jumpers at all, the drive uses the Mitsumi proprietary interface, as found on some sound cards. An example of this type of drive is the Mitsumi CRMC-FX001D, which is a 2X proprietary-interface drive, and most likely the drive that you have.

This link will take you to the proper driver for that drive family:

ftp://ftp.mitsumi.com/pub/drivers/fx116.exe

Copy the MTMCDAE.SYS file to your boot disk, and then edit the CONFIG.SYS on the boot disk to use that driver.

Post back if you need more help...