I service the computers at the local city hall and I have been stumped on a problem with Word 2000. Whenever I attempt to open the program it will freeze. When I press CTL+ALT+DEL I get the message that "System resources are dangerously low" and I then choose to close the program which will return me to the desktop. My understanding of this message is that it is in regards to processor cache and not RAM or hard drive space with both being more than adequate. Even then, if I choose "Start", I see nothing in the way of options-only a blank, grey menu. I have uninstalled the software, rebooted shut down again, and restored a copy of the registry that is 7 days old. The problem began 1 day ago. I then reinstall Word 2000 but I am still left with the same problem. I have used SFC which found 1 corrupt file which I replaced. Seems as though I remember actually getting past the Word 2000 logo and hourglass to receive an error message with the details mentioning USER.EXE but I cannot get this to occurr again. The unit has 128 Mb RAM with about 83% resources free and at least 7 Gb free hard disk space. It is a Dell unit and it is about one year old. I have gone through the Maintenance Wizard AND no other program on this unit gives any problems.

I finally broke down after 3 hours and called Dell tech support but they carried me through the same procedures. They mention as I was getting ready to leave for work that I could go to the "RUN" line and type in "Z Z TOP" and it would either restore Windows 98SE OR the entire system, I do not remember which one. This one unit contains ALL financial records for the city so I certainly do not want to restore it to it's original configuration.

Any and All Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Jeff Farrar