[RESOLVED] nVidia GeForce 2 GTS & VIA Chipset Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] nVidia GeForce 2 GTS & VIA Chipset Problems

Lochdanon

Question nVidia GeForce 2 GTS & VIA Chipset Problems

Hi Guys / Gals
    I have a problem with a Creative Labs 3D Blaster Annihilator 2 video card (nVidia) and a Tyan Trinity 400 motherboard (VIA Chipset). The problem stems from the video card, as the VIA Chipset is not fully compatible with nVidia video cards. The system will freeze randomly (video only) and this means a complete reboot of the system. I have installed the latest drivers from both nVidia and VIA, but this has not fixed the problem. I have even flashed the BIOS in hopes that there may be a fix in the flash. I was hoping that someone could shed some light on this dim problem or may have experienced this problem and fixed it.

I know that the card is capable of AGP 4X and the MOBO has a AGP 4X port, but nVidia video cards disable AGP 4X on VIA Chipsets rendering the system down to AGP 2X, which I wouldn't terrible mind if the system would stop crashing. If no one can help in this matter, I would appreciate suggestion for a different MOBO without a VIA Chipset on it. I've checked out Intel boards like the VC820 and Asus CUS2L, but I was hoping someone had some good suggestions. One thing that I can't understand is that this always worked fine on previous systems that I built with the Tyan Trinity 400 and nVidia TNT cards.

Thanks for the help

Darren Wilson

Try a QDI Synactix2E. Very robust & stable. Quite nippy as well.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

pmailloux

Red face

Not too sure about your problem being related to via chipset or more the actual video card or maybe just that mother board in general. I have a gigabyte motherboard with a via chipset and a nvidia geforce video card and Ive had that card in a couple of via chipset motherboards and have never had a problem, so Im guessing one of the two components you have may be bad or have a problem.

Lochdanon

I went to nVidia and they state in there FAQ that they have problems with the VIA Chipset and that they disable the 4X AGP mode due to the VIA chipset becomes very unstable. I went to VIA and they state the same problem that they are not very compatible with nVidia, but neither has a fix.

Direct quote from 3DBlaster.com:
    I have installed the 3DB GeForce. However, when I use Power Stripper, it shows that the 3DB GeForce is running at 2X? When I checked my motherboard manual, it says the motherboard supports AGP 4X. What is wrong?

The problem could be resolved by patching your motherboard before it can utilise the AGP 4X feature. Contact your motherboard manufacturer for patches.
    However, if you are having a VIA VT82C694X core logic chipset motherboard, you will require the patch from VIA and at the same time, you have to disable the "AGP Fast Write" feature in your system BIOS. The patches that you are required to download from VIA are as follows.

IDE Busmaster
    VIA AGP Driver
    IRQ Routing Driver
    VIA ACPI Registry
    The above patches will provide performance increase, stability and some added features. Alternatively, you can also refer to VIA website for some related FAQs.
    http://www.via.com.tw/support/faq.htm#agp
    Been here done this problem still remains. Keep in mind that the system is currently running with nothing else in it, except the obvious : hd, floppy and video.

Direct Quote from VIA:
    Q: How do I optimize the compatibility and performance of my NVIDIA TNT2 based graphics card with my VIA chipset?
    A: NVIDIA has released a driver that helps the TNT2 run with VIA chipsets. You should install the latest version (ver. 1.88 or later).
    Been here and done this to no avail. Tested the card with another Trinity 400 same problem. tested a different video card (indentical card) same problem on both systems.

Lochdanon

Thanks Darren for your reply, I will check that board out right away.

archangel

What OS are you using? if you are using Windows 2000, make sure to install the Microsoft registry patch that just came out not too long ago.

------------------
    www.el-mono.com

Lochdanon

Actually, I have no problems with Windows 2000, thats why I am having a bit of a brain fart here with Windows 98 - First Version - not with the Windows 98 + Upgrade
    Originally posted by archangel:
    What OS are you using? if you are using Windows 2000, make sure to install the Microsoft registry patch that just came out not too long ago.

Orangemon1

My friend had the tyan board and a Gforce 2 MX videocard. It was lockup and lot. He had problems with locking. Seems that he had a bad SB live

Lochdanon

Question

I'm not to sure if thats the problem, I do however use the SB LIVE! Platnium in my systems. I usually use the Value version of this card on low end machines, but this is the first time I've used a Platnium 5.1 - I wonder?!?!