talk'em out of upgrades

Thread: talk'em out of upgrades

Post talk'em out of upgrades

I'm sure we all had'em from time to time. People bringing in 10 year old POS wanting to run Windows 2000/ME and all the latests stuff without buying a new one.

How do you talk them out of it, or do you just go with the flow, and get them new mobo/proc/ram/hdd/cd and leave there old video card/modem/sound in or what?
    ---
    Jon Hutto

I quote them all the parts necessary (which is usually cheaper then a new system) then I add on around 3 hours @ $45 each. They usually get the point.
    Milkstache, what's that ?

I go with the flow and price out the parts to make these OS's work. Then I tell them what they still will not be able to do when all is done. You know, no USB, no more expansion, same crappy 14" monitor.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

3fingersalute

Lightbulb

I do the same, show them a quote for all necessary parts and labor, then show them that for usually only a couple hundred dollars more they could have a whole new system.

Then I explain to them that an upgraded system only has whatever warranty is provided by the manufacturer of each part, and that our new systems have full 3 Year Warranty on everything, parts and labor included....that usually is the cincher!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Micrsoft will crash on the way there!!!

First i try to explain them it is just don't worth it.
    Second i make a good profit from it - i do whatever they want and they keep coming back for upgrades... I don't care as long as they pay it is their own Problem
    Heck! they inssisted!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

I just do whatever they want - unless it is not possible. If they ask first what I think, I tell them if I think it is a useful upgrade. I will usually anyway tell them as an aside what I think about the upgrade (ie. It will probably slow down your computer, or not necessary). Often they tell me to do it anyway (then they complain their computer is running too slow...)

Cool

I can't believe that I STILL get these customers in here that want to upgrade their 486 to a PIII. When you tell that that it cannot be done, they ask; Why not? Now when they ask, I simply give them a basic quote on a new PC. I had one guy ask to upgrade his 486 to a 500Mhz. When I told him that he needed to have a new PC, he was puzzled. He said, Gee there is only about 14 hertz difference, why would I have to buy a new computer? DUH!

------------------
    Need a website? We can help!
    protechpc.com
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

LORE

The hardest part about talking them out of an upgrade is the fact that they paid between 1500, and 4000 for that POS they drop on the desk. When you tell them that it is not worth the upgrade and they are going to keep putting money in to it, they get upset. They realy get mad when you tell them it is only worth 50 to 100 dollars. Then I tell them we don't take trades, and that makes them furious, so they deside to upgrade, and i make money either way.

------------------
    We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.

Talking

but you can always use a Evergreen chip!!
    ---
    Jon Hutto

I always try to give the customer a couple of choices. When they bring in that 486 to upgrade to a PIII, I'll give them a quote for a biuld system & one for a new system as well. I too have had the odd customer get a little upset over buying a system that is 5+ years old & having spent more on it than on one of todays new systems. But, once I explain about the differnces & advances in new technology (without the technobable) they usually endup going for the new system. I will then end the conversation by telling them "There are no stupid questions when it comes to computers, only stupid people who don't ask the questions." Chuckle if you like at this little saying, but customers feel better knowing if they have a question that they can call someone & not be talked down to. And you earn more money in the end with return customers.

melmo

lol
    I tend to go with the standard response
    Well techincally I can upgrade your IBM PS/2 486 to a P-III but about all you'll have left is your mouse and Keyboard

Gooddeals*r*us

First and last rules of selling ANYTHING....
    Give them a choice of GOOD and BETTER...
    and assume consent

------------------
    "gooddeals*r*us"

its really hard to talk someone out of upgrading...from a sales/profit stand point. they wont buy a clone from a small store...they gonna go out, but one from comp-usa for $400. they dont think that they are basically financing a computer via prodigy or what not costing them around 700 or so over 3 years..totalling their price at 1100 or so.
    also for small stores, you have to give some kind of warranty, and if you get in a warranty repair, your techs arent bringing in any money fixing the problem b/c of the warranty. time is money.

but i always try to stay within business ethics...hoesty is the best policy. sure you might lose a computer sale, but people will respect your honesty, and come back for other things.

------------------
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]
    prompt $p$g [dos = elite]

Originally posted by skut:
    its really hard to talk someone out of upgrading...from a sales/profit stand point. they wont buy a clone from a small store...they gonna go out, but one from comp-usa for $400. they dont think that they are basically financing a computer via prodigy or what not costing them around 700 or so over 3 years..totalling their price at 1100 or so.
    also for small stores, you have to give some kind of warranty, and if you get in a warranty repair, your techs arent bringing in any money fixing the problem b/c of the warranty. time is money.

but i always try to stay within business ethics...hoesty is the best policy. sure you might lose a computer sale, but people will respect your honesty, and come back for other things.

I agree to an extent. I have found that people that are gonna buy a CompUSA special are gonna do it anyhow. Honestly how much money do you make on a new sale anyhow. In order for us to stay competitive we practically give a machine away for cost. Its not worth it when you add a warranty.

We almost always get our money from these people anyhow. Transfering data from the old drive, in home setup, adding network cards, loading software, upgrades and of course we do repairs when they do not want to wait three weeks to get their machine back from CrapUSA. My boss and I figrured we make as much or more with less hassles by doing things this way!

------------------
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

[This message has been edited by FU_MAN (edited October 29, 2000).]
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?