IE, AOL, MSN, Netscape not working with DSL

Thread: IE, AOL, MSN, Netscape not working with DSL

Post IE, AOL, MSN, Netscape not working with DSL

I have a system on DSL that gets a valid IP address and it can ping other IP's on the internet, but will not let me browse the internet on any browser, I can send/receive email but not browse. I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling all the following in this order : Network Adapters, Dial UP Networking, IE 5.5 SP2, IE 6.0, Windows 98 SE, Netscape, AOL, MSN. I have tried multiple Network Cards. Any ideas not listed here please give them to me. I've exhausted all ideas. Thanks

I've had this vexing problem on several occasions before, and the culprit is the TCP/IP protocol. Make sure that you delete not only any NIC's in Device Manager, but also delete all the items in the Network Control panel as well. This method has been recommended to me by others in the past, however it has never worked for me. I've always ended up reinstalling Windows.

I've tried the Network TCP/IP removal, with no luck. Any other ideas. I see this problem once every few months and I have never solved it yet.

Question

Sorry to hear you're using AOL

Did you set AOL as your default e-mail and internet application? If so, that's usually the kiss of death.

Try uninstalling Dialup Networking and see if you browse then.
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"

Here is some interesting stuff from MS.
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q241/3/44.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=winsock2&rnk=5&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn _SRCH&SPR=W98" target="_blank">Error Message: The Page Cannot Be Displayed</a>

I think that this is probably the WinSock2 problem that has been discussed here before.

The only part I recall specifically was to delete the entire WinSock2 key from this location in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\

TCP/IP and Dialup networking were removed as well, then a reboot. When you re-add the network properties, and DUN the key is also recreated. I have never used this, but recall seeing several people here on the forum meet with success using this fix...

What are your connection options setup like under Tools, Internet Options in IE? Do you have it looking for a proxy? Just a thought. Most likely it is the TCP/IP bindings though.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert