[RESOLVED] PCChips M758LMR+ Motherboard trouble

Thread: [RESOLVED] PCChips M758LMR+ Motherboard trouble

Villeneuve

Post PCChips M758LMR+ Motherboard trouble

Has anyone had any problems running any sort of accelerated graphics on this motherboard with the SIS630 chipset?
    Even the 3D Flying Objects Screensaver with Windows crashes after a while.
    I've installed all the latest drivers from the SIS website - V1.07.51, tried various bios configurations, and still I'm getting these random crashes.
    It's a Celeron Flipchip 633MHZ, with 128MB of PC100 Memory (generic).
    Running Windows 98SE, DirectX 8 (7a had same problems)

The lower the screen resolution the longer the machine seems to stay stable, so could it be a power/heat issue?

Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Luckily, it's not my machine. I'm sticking with my A-Bit mobo. 8)

------------------------------------
    Villeneuve....

tyroneshu

sounds like a memory problem. Try either adjusting the memory shared in bios or accessed and if that dont work try some other memory.

J_Man

Definetly going to be the ram your using. The SIS chipsets with integrated video that shares system RAM tend to be very touchy. I have had numerous examples where i have replaced the cheap ram with good ram and the board runs fine. (Seems to fix not just video problems but WINDOWS its self).

------------------
    <<< Sh!t happens >>>

Originally posted by Villeneuve:
    Even the 3D Flying Objects Screensaver with Windows crashes after a while.
    The Ram does sound like the culbrit. I noticed you said "Even the ... screensaver ... crashes" this really points to Ram. I had some serious problems with a PII 333 /128mb Ram/8mb Video. Random lockups and errors. I started running System Monitor to check on the Available Physical Ram. It was down to 2MB or less when the problems would occur. It turns out that if you leave system monitor running, stretch it so that the graph is real wide, and set it to chart at around 10 seconds, then set your screen saver to a short delay. Watch what happens to your available ram after that screen saver pops up a couple of times (move your mouse after the screen saver appears). You'll find that the available memory will drop by about 10MB each time the screen saver runs. (Clicking preview doesn't affect the memory, it has to come up itself). Windows won't recover the memory, either!