setting up RAID 5

Thread: setting up RAID 5

Post setting up RAID 5

well i've been wanting to set up RAID 5. I guess i just need a few suggestions or pointers in the right direction, because i'm not sure exactly how to set it up. can i set it up with W2K Pro or do I have to run W2K Server? Should I set it up using Server on the software side or should I get a RAID controller. I will use 3 IDE drives and I don't think that 1 of the drives can be the boot partition for RAID 5, correct me if i'm wrong. any suggestions or point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

To get the full benefit of a RAID 5 system I would definitely go with a hardware RAID controller.

If you want to do it with software you'll need to have Windows 2000 Server and at least 4 hard disks - 1 will be the boot drive and the other 3 three will make up the RAID volume.

The major draw-back is that only your data and NOT your operating system will be part of the RAID - kinda defeating the purpose, because if your system drive fails you're gonna have to re-install. Not to mention the performance would benefit greatly by having the operating system on a RAID volume.

Exclamation

I work with 5 different IBM server types (netfinity, AS400, e and x series, all have hardware raid, (both raid 1 {mirror} and raid 5)
    Normally the raid1 is the system dirves, and (on my site) the 3,4 or 5 other drives are in raid 5.
    I've never used software raid so I couldn't compare, but for reliability, ease of setup and performance, I'd say go Hardware raid for sure
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Okay, so hardware RAID 5 is the way to go. I would HAVE to use Server for hardware raid 5 or could I use Pro?
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

You could even use win 3.11 for hardware raid, but since you are likely to be using your RAID for server purposes I would guess that gives you a clue.