Utilizing large amounts of Ram

Thread: Utilizing large amounts of Ram

Post Utilizing large amounts of Ram

I know similiar questions have been asked but I was hoping to fill in some gaps....

I know gaming isn't a very important thing to some but I also know many of you game.... My question has to do with running a gaming server. We at the store currently run a Counter Strike server. The server is a PII-450 w/ 384mb sdram. We are trying to get it to utilize the memory better. After a bit it seems to develope lag. My boss, who is the one who actually runs it, telling counter strike to use 256mb but that didn't seem to help. We have now set up the swap file to be used less via the system.ini. Oh almost forgot we are currently running win98. First ran it on winme but that didn't last very long, as it kept crashing. Is their a way to get it to run stable, reduce the lag , and still use Win98? Thank you for any and all advice!

Sorry if this isn't appropriat for the forrum.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Don't quote me on this, but I believe if you download a program called X-setup by xteq it may help you. The program is kind of like tweakui with a different interface. It lets you make registry changes through a gui much like the way tweakui and the control panel does. It also has about 3 times as many options and tweaks as tweakui does.

Anyway, one of the settings you can adjust lets you tell windows not to use the swap file until all physical memory is full. I'm not sure that will help you, but it came to mind when I read your post.

Also, have you moved the swap file to a different drive than windows and the game uses? That would help as well. Also, how big is your bandwidth pipe? The other setting I'm sure you've already changed (but I'll mention it anyway) is to change the role of the computer to Server.

Good luck and happy gaming!
    Sparky Mark
    Life is real, life is earnest- and the grave is not it's goal- dust thou art, to dust returneth- was not spoken of the soul...

Run the server on WindowsXP because it utilizes memory much better the 9x could ever hope for.
    "Thou shalt not kill, remember? What in the hell kind of church man are you?" - Vash the Stampede

Try this simple, easy, and free solution. Go to PCWorld's <a href="http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,5267,00.asp" target="_blank">downloads here,</a> ...it's already linked to a freeware app called "cacheman." This thing works like a charm, and has presets configured for all 9x variants including 98, and those presets manage your memory, cache, dll, swap file and cluster size usage based on what you're doing with the machine [mostly.] I.e., power users, multimedia, sound file management... It's got a preset for gaming, too.

The download is only 800kb or so, give it a try!
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."