win2k pro & office97 pro

Thread: win2k pro & office97 pro

Post win2k pro & office97 pro

Has anyone ever had a problem with win2k pro and office 97 pro? What happens is my customer had me upgrade them to win2k on all their computers and install an ati expert2000 32mb video. The problem is that almost everytime you open anything in office it takes forever to load and then runs slow. However if you let it sit for a while then come back to it, it works fine 50% of the time. This has drove me nuts for the last 3 days uninstalling and installing putting on sp2 for office and w2k sp. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks again.

There's a few problems with windows 2000 pro and office 97 pro, where I work we've had a lot of problems with non-administrator users, when using word they cant use the spellchecker etc. This was solved with a patch from microsoft that reduced the security enough for it to work. Perhaps there's a patch for the problem your having, sounds like MS didn't test thier own software on thier OS..

*shock*

Yup, Office 97 has alot of bugs with 2000. You need to goto Office 2000. Some service packs may help but by much. Outlook will always be slow on Windows 2k. I have 150 computers with win2k office 97. Im about to upgrade them to windows 2000.

If you want to see a stupid weird message. Open a .xls file (double click one, dont open it from execl) any ways it will say that you already have this file open. It will do it on every system.
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...uts/athlon.gif

Do you leak any fluids, do you have any bumps on your rear, do you have any unpleasant odors?
    If you answered yes to any of these then you are not qualified to own a new AMD ATHLON XP.
    If someone ask you if you are running the all-new fastest AMD ATHLON XP, just turn around and reply "WHY YES, AND ITS CERTIFIED"

http://www.daemonprojects.com/

Red face

Court and Deamon...
    My network has EXACTLY the same problems your've just submitted, and no amount of patches have fixed it.
    If anyone has any idea what it might be and how it can be fixed i'd be very appreciative.

Also.. does anyone know of office XP and win2k issue's?
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Lord Kahn

I am running office xp on win2k sp2 with no problems.

One odd thing with powerpoint...you actually have to tell it to use hardware acceleration for the video card. It's a simple check box in setup slide show menu option, but one would think that you would want to use acceleration by default.

Thanks guys I guess they will just have to put up with the slow startup till they can afford to upgrade to office xp. Right now I guess that is their only option. Again thanks and I am running officexp and win2000 and have had no problems.

[quote]Originally posted by Penman:
    <strong>...sounds like MS didn't test thier own software on thier OS..

*shock*</strong><hr></blockquote>

I learned a lesson the hard way in auto class; you never take apart the right and left drum brake assembly at the same time. If you leave one put together, it is much easer to reassemble the other. That job took me 3 hours to complete!

I hate to do this, but:
    It sounds like a few of you ran a system wide upgrade without testing your own software. It is easy to pass the buck to Microsoft, however we all know that MS is in the business of making things newer and different, in an effort to make them better and faster. In the process some bundles and suites of software are left behind for various reasons. One underlying reason is to "force" you to upgrade older software, thus spending money.

If you already know that, your upgrades should be isolated and tested for several weeks with different variables applied, before a full migration. Include things you would take for granted; for instance, backwards compatibility from MS product to MS product, along with everything else used in your environment.

Sorry, but you can’t blame Microsoft for everything…

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>

I learned a lesson the hard way in auto class; you never take apart the right and left drum brake assembly at the same time. If you leave one put together, it is much easer to reassemble the other. That job took me 3 hours to complete!

I hate to do this, but:
    It sounds like a few of you ran a system wide upgrade without testing your own software. It is easy to pass the buck to Microsoft, however we all know that MS is in the business of making things newer and different, in an effort to make them better and faster. In the process some bundles and suites of software are left behind for various reasons. One underlying reason is to "force" you to upgrade older software, thus spending money.

If you already know that, your upgrades should be isolated and tested for several weeks with different variables applied, before a full migration. Include things you would take for granted; for instance, backwards compatibility from MS product to MS product, along with everything else used in your environment.

Sorry, but you can’t blame Microsoft for everything…</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your right.
    We're in the middle of a corperate wide SOE (Standard Operating Enviroment) upgrade, and due to MS's rapid and money grabbing changes they keep rolling out, we've had to test, double test, and then test again, all of the software that we use.
    Its a bitch of a process but its worth doing.
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!