internet problem

Thread: internet problem

Post internet problem

Ok here's the problem

I'm a support technicain for an ISP and have a problem with IP address

Every one in awhile we have a customer call in and they can't get online or get email or anything. After numerous things including removing everything to do with networking and reinstall, nothing works. Given this is all done over the phone so I can't go diving into the registry and changing all kinds of stuff like that.

I've narrowed it down to this. Its an Name resolution problem.

For instance if I want to ping <a href="http://www.yahoo.com" target="_blank">www.yahoo.com</a> it should work no problem, and it does on my end. However on the customers PC, nothing happens. It just sits there, like its looking for it. It doesn't say request timed out or anything. It just like stalls. However if you ping the IP address of like yahoo.com(216.115.108.245) if you ping the numerical address it will work. You will get a reply from it, but not the name.

SO whats the problem?

Who can I easily solve this over the phone will a customer? Any tips or web pages you can direct me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Alot

.JL.
    He who can laugh at himself will never cease to be amused.

We have the same problem here at work sometimes. Where a user from another network can't get e-mail or surf the net on our network. We've boiled it down to WINS. You could try getting your customer to use DHCP for WINS if it's not set up that way already. Hope this helps somewhat.
    Life is short - Eat dessert first! mmmm... cake

Another thing that happened to us on occasion, was the assignment of the same IP to multiple users. ie: when the user dialed up and connected, they were given an IP already in use, which caused link death on any both the new connection, and the old one. I dont think this has been resolved as of yet.

Not saying that is exactly the problem, just dont rule out faults at your end either.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

You are providing through a proxy?

Run into this often. Only way that I know how to take care of it is through the registry.
    Have you every danced with the devil in the pale moon light?