Need help.. please read and help me!

Thread: Need help.. please read and help me!

Post Need help.. please read and help me!

Hello again everyone. I am having more problems with my compaq I am running Windows ME, and i have many problems. It never starts up consistenly. It starts up goes to the Windows ME screen and restarts again, and it will maybe do that a couple times. It actually loads up and then it trys to do the scandisk type thing, and it comes to a black screen with little lines that are no more than 10 cm long, coming down from the top of the screen with a green line going across, the rest black. so i have to shut down the comp (as nothing works, it freezes there) i then actually do get it to the desktop, and then i go play a game, or go do something, and exiting certain games, it will come up with Window's Errors, for example some VxD or Error in certain file. Im not sure what to do.... The other day my computer was working fine (im talking my internet now) All of a sudden i try to go on last night and it doesnt work again! i have tried everything that i can think of. I have a cable modem, have the most updated drivers for it. Not sure what to do... would realy like to have my computer back instead of being on my parents computer. Thanx in advance..
    -Anthony
    "It don't matter if u win by an inch or a mile, Winnings Winning, and thats all there is to it!"

in addition to last post, my computer also will randomly restart with out warning... i signed onto aol (when my internet worked) and i clicked the mail box and it just restarted, i tried to send an im before that and it restarted (using AIM). Have no idea what to do. i tried doing the msconfig, and checking the boxes.. i left every box unchecked and it still did the black screen with the green lines.. which really pissed me off.. not sure what to do at all.. please help!
    -Anthony
    "It don't matter if u win by an inch or a mile, Winnings Winning, and thats all there is to it!"

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

What model Compaq do you have? If it's the 5000 series (i.e. 5WV270) some of those video cards are nVidia Vanta LT 8meg AGP, not exactly top of the line! It sounds as though it could be a video driver problem.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

[quote]Originally posted by pakprotector:
    <strong>What model Compaq do you have? If it's the 5000 series (i.e. 5WV270) some of those video cards are nVidia Vanta LT 8meg AGP, not exactly top of the line! It sounds as though it could be a video driver problem.</strong><hr></blockquote>
    Good answer, esp since he is running ME. Either change or update Vid or return to 98SE.
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

Cool

Your biggest problem out of all that you said is that your running windows ME. What a crappy OS. You can make it run somewhat stable. But in the long run it pretty much like 98 SE with a few drawbacks and a few advantages. So you would be better off with win98 se, plus its second edition...wow...that must mean its more stable and wont crash as much. Key words: As Much...
    Hannibal Smith and Howlin Mad Murdock really do love Mr. T!

I have a Compaq 5000 series (5wv285) At first everything as fine on my comp, and i changed to win2k pro, and i got rid of that and went to 98 and it still did all that stuff... all the problems i am having now, so i went back to ME. I do a nvidia 8mb agp card, i was planning on buying a new video card, but just havnt gotten around to doing it. So its the video card that is causing my problems????
    -Anthony

It is not neccessarily the video card causing your problem. Can you post the text of the vxd errors? However, as previously mentioned the video card leaves a lot to be desired, so you are probably better off replacing it and testing to see if the problem goes away.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Can I ask why you got rid of Win2K? Was there problems there too?
    It's good to be the King.

melee5

Cool

I would first replace your ram then see about
    applying the vxd fix if new (different) ram doesn't take care of the problem. But I don't know if it applies in ME, I only know it works very well for me in Win98se.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vdd.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vflatd.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\configmg.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\ntkern.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\vdmad.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\vcomm.vxd
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32\vmouse.vxd

Extracting the above .vxd files to the indicated directories comprise what's known as the vxd fix. Although there is a batch file around that will do this with little effort on the part of the user, I find that the results with Win98se are not as good as when I use the System File Checker (under 'tools' in System Information) to extract the files from my installation CD. BUT a warning - SFC doesn't extract vdd.vxd and vflatd.vxd to the \system folder, you will have to cut and paste them to there from the \vmm32 folder by hand. And they won't work until you do that.
    If don't have System Information installed (Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-), go ahead and do that first under Add/Remove Programs-Windows Setup in the Control Panel. It and the above files are on your Installation CD.
    If you need the vxd fix to avoid BSODs and other vxd hang ups, you will notice good results just as soon as you reboot. I did and do use the vxd fix.
    If you want to revert your machine to the way it was before the vxd fix was applied - just delete the above files and reboot.
    Do a search on the web for 'vxd fix' or go here to read more on just why its needed and what it fixes.

<a href="http://www.windrivers.com/tech/tips/May99/index.htm" target="_blank">http://www.windrivers.com/tech/tips/May99/index.htm</a>

so you have a compaq 5000, and you ahve changed the OS

We know know that you have a hardware problem. The vlanta video card is ****e. wand und many configurations will cause many problems. BUT the video card may not be the o0nly problem. THe compaq 5000 series did not come with revsed drivers for the AGP port, USB, or the BUS, so in many cases the system performes irraticly when any one of thes systems is used. Download the 4in1 driver for the chipset in your system. (it a via drivers so start looking their) You will also want to get new video drivers taht support the 4in1 driver, and possibly DX 7 or better, as it as an encoded work around. If all this dosenot work, send it to compaqand raise hell. I hnow of customers of mine that got a brandnew system from compaq that was way better than what they had becasue they could not figgure it out ether.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.