computer wont boot

Thread: computer wont boot

Unhappy computer wont boot

I'm baffled. The computer powers on. There are no cards in it so nothing to check there. The video is on board. however, when you cut it on, it doesnt beep and theres no signal to the monitor. The fans cut on and the processor gets hot. If it was struck by lightning, what might have gone out. Am I skipping something important. I guess the motherboard just might be fried. Any help would be great

Cool

Is the onboard video enabled?

Anna, make sure the MoBo is not bended or grounded with the chassis.
    I have had this problem twice:
    - CPU problem
    - MoBo touching the case

Also, did you check the MoBo manual for any jumper setting?

Let me know how it goes
    _ ______________________ _
    May The Forbe Be With You.
    _ ______________________ _

DISCLAIMER
    I am NOT responsible for any damages on your computer.

well first off...its slightly difficult to no if anything is enabled without the computer booting up. Touching metal isnt much of an issue. It has worked until recently. I'll check anyway though. Thanks for the help guys..but I still need an answer if someone out there has one.

How many beeps? Short or long ones?
    This can point us in right direction...
    First thing You should have to check is memory stick(s). Try to re-seat memory and processor. Disconnect also all cables,except for video (and power,of course ),and try to boot again.

Wink

theres no post, no beeps at all. I would be able to identify RAM error because its annoying as hell. I swapped out power supplies. I changed the memory. Took out the modem....put in another video card. reseated all the chips....gosh I'm frazzled out with this one. Theres no signs of booting. The hard drive is running and fans run. I've come to the conclusion that The board is fried. anymore ideas anyone?????

also swapped out the pentium with a definitley working one. I've never had one I couldnt fix. This really puts a damper on a technician

Unhappy

i feel worthless

Arrow

well first off...its slightly difficult to no if anything is enabled without the computer booting up.

Sorry what I meant to say is did you check for a jumper to enable the onboard?
    Some boards have a jumper that you can disable or enable the onboard and you may have gotten lucky and knocked it off somehow?

Hmm... Looks like it's really hardware problem.
    May be,BIOS chip is bad - first thing I would suspect. You can reprogram that chip back,though, using my tips posted here: http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...&f=17&t=005214 .
    Another thing You should check is all voltages using voltmeter (CPU core,I/O etc). Probably one of voltage regulators is fried.
    Check also jumper isn't set in "clear CMOS" position.

Have you checked for "clear cmos" jumper? Can sometimes reinitialise bios chips on seemingly blown boards.