ASUS voltage regulator

Thread: ASUS voltage regulator

Post ASUS voltage regulator

Have an ASUS P2B with a possible bad voltage regulator, power supply fried and took it out. I recall Ruslan mentioning that this might be an easy repair. Do you have any circuit diagrams for this board? I hate to throw it away, it's such a good board. Thanks!

you say that the PSU fried and took it with him...

I wouldn't be so sure that it's the only part that was fried..

I guess you can spend the $10 on parts for repairing the mobo and the hour on resoldering everything. However I wouldn't recommend it because you can't be sure it's that..

spending time and money on this old mobo (altough it was one of my favs models..) is just not worth it..

you can get a good slot 1 mobo off Ebay pretty cheap and save yourself the headache...

just my 2 cent..

Sorry for delayed answer - I was too busy at work.
    Situation completely depends on how that failure happened. If that power converter IC fried while power was on,-yes, it could took out also some another ICs (mostly BIOS chip/chips).
    If that IC died while power was off (computer was in standby mode),usually only that IC is fried and that motherboard can be sucsessfully repaired. From my experience, only that IC is fried mostly. I would like to kill those engineers, who designed that piece of crap,called "+5V standby module"!

That particular motherboard uses switch mode power converter controller IC made by Harris Semicondactor corp. (now Intersil).
    IC model - HIP6019BCB or HIP6019CB.Different motherboard's PCB revisions used different (but compatible) ICs. That's why some of P2B PCB rev. do support new coppermine P3 CPUs, some - don't (due to power converter's voltage stepdown limitations). Replacing that IC can do the trick, by the way. But that's another story...

Timgottier,PDF-file for that IC You can download from http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4/fn4587/index.asp .Download also application notes, and You'll get schematics of motherboard's power converter example. Very usefull thing for whom,who trying to repair ASUS motherbords.

[This message has been edited by Ruslan (edited September 07, 2001).]