dead boot

Thread: dead boot

Red face dead boot

I've just upgraded a PC with a new motherboard and I can't get past POST. I'm getting continuous, long beep codes. I have an award bios and I visited their website and they suggested to check the memory. I did just that by swapping the 64MB with a known working 256MB module. I'm still getting the same error codes. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the problem and at least get past POST, I would really appreciate it. Thanks...
    user: "I'm having problems settting up my laptop. Can u help me?"
    me: "Sure, no problem"
    user: "Ok, let me open the box up"

Well first, unhook everything, including floppy, HD, CD rom. have you tried switching out video cards with a known working one. that long beep could be the video card. now you said you upgraded the motherboard, did you install a new CPU? check to make sure its jumpered correctly
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

Award Bios' long beeps are either a Keyboard controller error or a video Failure.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

a ram error is generaly indicated by the system giving you nothing, pretty lights, but generaly nothing. continuous long beeps are likly a lose CPU (reseat, common problem on slot achitecture) or the system cannot find the video card.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

Just a thought...
    Make sure your Mobo isn't shorting out on the PC case. Try to remove the mobo and place on a wooden surface like a chopping block (clean it first) Leave connected Ram, Video card, and Processor. See if it boots. If it does, then it's a short. Check the screws that secure the board.
    Comptia A+, MCP.
    "Screws fall out all the time, the world's an imperfect place."
    Judd Nelson- The Breakfast Club

"Toga, Toga, Toga !!!"