Weird sound problem

Thread: Weird sound problem

Question Weird sound problem

Have a person I was helping out as a freebie that has become a problem now. I normally don't do freebies but as usual this sounded like an easy fix (like they always do). He had a sound problem where it would only play out one speaker instead of the 2, it wasn't the speakers and it wasn't the balancing in volume control. So i just changed the sound card without a problem, tested it out and everything ran fine until it got back to his house(ofcourse). He says he is still getting the balance problem but can now go into the volume control and the balance control is moved to the one side. He moves it back but it happens again at some point(i just heard him tell me this on the phone so this is all the info I have on it, sorry I can't be more specific). The new sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PCI card. Anyone seen this before in any way,shape, or form? Thanks in advance.

Tony
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

oh yeah, I believe the computer is Win95B, its like a Pent 200Mhz, older computer. Has more crap on it than anything I have ever seen. I'm trying to talk him into buying a Dell so he can get something newer.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

check the system for viruses/backdoors and disable startup items. look around for 3rd party autio software, it may be causing the problems to. thats about all I can think of right now......2 more hours till beer.....

------------------
    She may have only been a prostitute, but she had the prettiest face I ever came across

morguth

sounds like a bad wire on the speaker, seen it a cpl of times at work, had to rpl the speakers

------------------
    Quote the madcow, 'Never Moo'

IT Len

Using the same sound card for surround sound with subwoofer, in ME, had similar problem with front to back. Called everyone, MS, HP, Creative, no one had a solution. My work around was this...check in the "audio HQ" see if it's set for the proper speaker config., ie, two or four. That would be the easiest fix. I had to go one step further and connect the digital output AND RCA jack output at the same time [although they tell you it won't work!] to get them all to give me sound.

Shairel

since it's probably alot of old crap in the system, I'm imagining that either in win.ini or system.ini there is a balance / volume control overriding the one in the windows registry, and that one of the ini files is probably set to read only :chuckles: that always does it, no? anyway, just hunt through the ini files, see what driver is assigned to the wave, and look to see if there are any entries for volumeright or volumeleft, it will be a number between 1 and 65535, delete these entries, save the file, and let windows 95 make the decision