Sound Problem

Thread: Sound Problem

Post Sound Problem

I have a computer in the shop with a CMI8330 onboard sound card. When I boot into windows the beginning sound repeats until I shut the machine down. There are no conflicts with resources and I have reinstalled the drivers. Please Help!!!
    Milkstache, what's that ?

Have you tried setting the beginning sound to a different sound? I know it sounds dumb but sometimes the sound file could be corrupt or more likely if the sound is long you get some interference from some other program or driver that is loading. If the sound card gets interrupted as it's making a sound it could keep repeating that sound. Does it do that if you go into safe mode? if it's win98 try msconfig and do a selective boot and gradually take things out of your startup. More info might help also.... When did it start doing this?

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

I tried multiple sounds, it's a Win95 system. I don't know when it started because the customer never had speakers hooked up until a few days ago. So it sould have been happening for a while.

tregee

I would suggest that you turn off the sounds for your pc to start with. Then add them as needed. Sometimes the sounds could overlap causeing a prolonged sound which in my case is very innouing anyways. Also when you add them back just to be on the safe side select a different sound, because the current one could have been inadvertantly spiked.

Try this: Set the startup sound to none and reboot. Now go into sounds and try them out one by one. If it doesn't give you a problem after the computer is started I would say it's a conflict with something that is loading. Does the customer have any programs running in the background? If so try taking them out of start up and see what happens. I have seen similiar problems but I don't remember what exactly we did about it. If no programs are running my guess another driver is interfering with the sound. If the sound works except on start the customer may have to live with a quiet boot! The cmi8330 isn't exactly great sound to begin with. I've had many, many, many , etc........ problems with them.

Good Luck I hope something helps.

GLSmith

I have removed all sounds, now if I run a *.wav manually it repeats forever. Any other ideas.

Have you tried the "latest" drivers? Are you sure there is no IRQ conflict? What about DMA? Can you disable the CMI8330 and try a different sound card? That is an on-board sound isn't it? Has any soldering been done to the board? That can take out chips sometimes ( especially video ). Short of that and what's already been said, I can't think of anything except maybe try a reinstall from scratch or removing all drivers, including video. Just run from standard vga. Oh hay just a thought is direct x installed? Maybe direct x v whatever doesn't like the sound drivers.

Sorry but that's all I can think of!

GLSmith

ah ...guys?

You might want to reconfigure the DMA channels on your system there partner!!

That type of error is typical with those sound cards.

under properties in device manager, select a diff. configuration fot the sound card and it should work fine. You might have to reconfigure it several times until you get to the configuration that works....HAPPY..HAPPY...JOY...JOY!!!!1

hey its me again!

Originally posted by ledrichard:

That type of error is typical with those sound cards.

under properties in device manager, select a diff. configuration fot the sound card and it should work fine. You might have to reconfigure it several times until you get to the configuration that works.
    Probably You're right,ledrichard.

I have seen same effect with CMI8330 many times. Don't believe,what Windows' control panel config said. Even if no any conflicts are reported,some devices could use same IRQ or same I/O adress (i.e. video card and windows sound system (IRQ 9,10,11)),or conflict with some resources used for motherboard's needs (i.e. PCI controller, USB controller and so on).
    Solutions might be:
    1. As ledrichard said, try different configs.
    2. Try antivirus soft.
    3. Try to install drivers for DOS. This usually adds init keystroke into autoexec.bat. It will not kill windows.
    Make sure,what very first keystroke in autoexec is similar to
    Set Blaster=A220 I5 D1 H5 ....and so on.
    4. Go to BIOS and change PnP options.
    May be, You have to manually assign IRQ for ISA devices.
    "Assign IRQ for USB" - disable.

I hope this help You.

Wink

I've had this same problem a couple of times.

Moved the sound card to a different PCI slot and the problem was solved.

pga

kinda hard to move an onboard sound controller to another PCI slot...

anyhow... this also has happened to me before with the same controller.... it usually happened becuase I was using the wrong drivers.... If its a PC Chips board.. I think on the driver CD under the CMI8330 directory it has a separate sub-directory called "updated drivers"

daisydoesdisney

Thumbs up

I had the same error for the same sound card (onboard) i jsut went to control panel - multimedia and played with the playback and record device. just keep trying different combos!!

------------------
    Lee Pryor
    Network Support
    http://www.motoxpsychos.com

Boot into windows without sounds on startup. Open up any wav file (it will probably keep playing it over and over). There should be a setting somewhere (I'm on NT at the mo, so It's different for me) that lets you specify repeat forever. Put it to play once, reboot, and try playing a wav again. If it plays once, then add the startup sound again. If it plays over and over again, sorry, I just wasted your time!

------------------
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...
    A General Protection Error has occured - Time to go home...

I have seen this with many brands of sound cards, and it is almost always a conflict. Do not believe everything the device manager tells you.

Pull any extra cards you may have, modem, scsi, 2nd lpt, etc... Get it down to nothing but Video, sound, and drive controllers. You may even need to disable some devices on that board (because they can't be removed) if the problem still exists and you've tried different drivers then you may have a bad sound chip on that board.

It is also fair to say, that chip gets along a lot better with Win98 than Win95, especially 95a.