Question about Upgrading RAM

Thread: Question about Upgrading RAM

Question Question about Upgrading RAM

I have a Pentium 233 that started out with 32megs of RAM. (4G HD) I upgraded to 128megs and now my computer literally runs twice as fast as it did before. I have the capacity to add one more 128meg chip. A friend of mine says that my computer is maxed out. Is this true or will I realize still greater performance by adding that second 128meg chip? If so, how much? I need to know before I spend the extra money.
    Bouncy Bouncy

If you're running 95/98, you're already well up the diminishing returns curve. WinME and Win2k can make good use of more than 128Mb RAM. Unless you're swinging huge bitmaps or audio files around in 95/98, you won't notice much difference putting another 128 Mb in the box. As you mentioned you have a Pentium 233, if it's a Pentium I on a TX chipset, you may even slow down a bit going over 64Mb as the onboard L2 cache couldn't cache more than 64Mb. Anything's better than 32Mb though
    I think I know just enough to know how much I don't know... I think...

I agree with my countryman- ME is supposed to be good to 512MB, but anything over that you're in 2K country.

Thanks very much to both of you. But do I have a further question: How come my computer came our of the factory with two slots, each for 128mb, if there is no good reason to have them?

By the way I am using Win98SE.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Cool

Most motherboards contain a number of extra slots to allow for future expansion. Two to three memory slots are the norm for most motherboards today.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Agree with Jeff the Brit.
    Hulk,You didn't say about what chipset motherboard You're running. If it's TX motherboard (by the way,what exactly motherboard?), there is no point to upgade RAM anymore. If it's VIA chipset (especially MVP3) or ALi,it can be done - PC100/133 128Mb DIMMs are pretty cheap nowadays.