[RESOLVED] usb printer problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] usb printer problems

debbiesweety233

Post usb printer problems

I have an hp deskjet 810c works fine with regular printer cable. however when i try to use usb cable it wont recognize the printer. tried a second cable, still the same problem. I plug a different usb device in and it works fine.
    so what do you think?
    and I know, just use the regular printer cable (I am up agains a real 1d10T error with these guys and they are adamant about it working with usb because it worked before their mother board fried, we replaced the mother board for them)I did suggest to them that something in the printer fried when their mother board did thanks, Deborah

Wink

well, if the printer works with the normal printer cable, and other usb devices work on their usb port, sounds like the printers usb port has had the bomb, try another usb printer on the port. and if possible try another printer on their mobo's usb port.
    process of elimination, if another printer works on their mobo's usb port and their printer doesn't work on another computers usb port then the printer is fried, well the usb port anyway.
    good luck.
    It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

AnyTwo

I think I'd push that "bad printer" idea a little farther. Try to install that printer on another computer and see what happens; or try another printer on the suspect computer.
    It would be difficult to be certain until that's been done.

Good Luck!

This is where a test system comes in really handy. talk to your boss about setting up a test machine (nothing fancy, as long at it works and has at least onboard usb, and supports both slot 2 and socket 370 processors). that way, you can test a whole range of hardware and software on a machine that you know is has solid hardware. setting up a ghost image of a fresh install would also be a good idea as it saves time when you blow up windows by installing crapware or a customers faulty piece of hardware farts and blows the house down. Rember, time is money, and by putting together a low budget machine, you can save a lot of time by finding out weather a customers problem is software or hardware. So to finally answer your question, hook up the printer to another machine and see if you have the same problems.

------------------
    She may have only been a prostitute, but she had the prettiest face I ever came across

IT Len

I use the 882 HP... when changing from printer port to USB, you need to delete the HP printer as configured, and use the HP install disc to re-install as a USB device. Check the manual. Sequence as follows...remove current printer config., power up printer [not connected to PC], install HP drivers as a USB device, then connect and you're off and running. LOL

qei

I'm with ITLen on this--have found that HP USB printers work great but only if installed as a USB printer--the install instructions are different than the parallel instructions. Read and follow very carefully and you should have no problem.