Computer Consulting Value

Thread: Computer Consulting Value

Post Computer Consulting Value

About three+ months ago I sent a resume to a television station that was advertising for a computer technician (job title "Assistant to the Chief Engineer"). Today I have a message on my answering machine from the Chief Engineer asking if I was still available because in his words "we were very impressed with you computer skills" and we have a need for a Part Time Computer Consultant etc..etc..etc...

I'm not sure what he has in mind, but I thought I get some of your opinions as to how much Computer Consulting to a TV Station might be worth... I'm not sure if they mean to hire me at an hourly wage, or if they want to use my services being self employed.

All ideas welcomed.

Hey consulting can often be more money than actually doing work ( physical work I mean ). I think when I was involved in that stuff we were doing it for like $65 - $75 hr. It kind of depends on what they expect you to do as a "consultant". Hey knowledge is power and in this business can be money.

Good Luck and let us know what happens

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

It also depends on what your local market will bear as an hourly wage. Generally speaking you should charge 3x what you would make if you recieved a wage. This should cover for the trouble of being contract, pay your taxes and cover addtl wear and tear on your car.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Around here the going rate for qualified consultants (qualified being the operative word) is $85 to $125 per hour.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

clandtech

Our company strictly consults with business/education/government (no home users). Most of it depends on qualifications/certifications/flexibility.

We charge $75/hr for printer/plotter support, $110/hr for standard PC support, $120/hr for network support and $150/hr for AS/400 support.

For design/research (in our office) we charge half rate.

Remember, they're paying for your knowledge and your knowledge cost you.

A good consulant here locally costs around $45 to $75 depending on their knowledge base. If the consultant knows point of sale and accounting that usually bumps them up to $100 an hour minimum.
    Milkstache, what's that ?

Appreciate everyone's input. It didn't work out though - The guy was an idiot, he didn't want a computer consultant - he wanted a flunky tech (for min wage and working on his own) to call in whenever he couldn't keep up with his users headspace errors on their computers.

Basically I told him where he could stick it.

Thanks again.

LORE

I also would have told him to check out a dictionary and look up the word consult
    according to webster

Main Entry: con·sul·tant
    Pronunciation: k&n-'s&l-t&nt
    Function: noun
    Date: 1697
    1 : one who consults another
    2 : one who gives professional advice or services : EXPERT
    - con·sul·tant·ship /-"ship/ noun

------------------
    We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.

cheras

Unhappy

Damn, why couldn't I find a job like that..