Cna this be done w/o formatting? Remove and replace win98 files related to printing?

Thread: Cna this be done w/o formatting? Remove and replace win98 files related to printing?

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

Post Cna this be done w/o formatting? Remove and replace win98 files related to printing?

Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice in this matter.
    Computer "x" will not print successfully to the customer's printer or to one of ours (test pages get cut off, communication probs, etc.). The customer's printer does work tho, with my tech machine.
    The Parallel port is not the problem, as it has passed Troubleshooter loopbacks, but I also disabled it and and tried an add-in card just to be sure, with the same results-- she just doesn't want to print.
    I tried an overlay, to no avail (but that never works anyway, does it?). Anyhow the customer reports that it was working at one time so I am totally thinking WindoWs here.
    I would like to avoid a format c: scenario, so the point of my post; provided you have not fallen asleep by now is this:

What about removing and reintroducing/reinstalling those possibly corrupted/jacked-up windows files in charge if printing? Can this be done expiditiously and simply? Opinions? Experience?

So thanks again for your time and any assistance...
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

Delete all the printer drivers in Start>Settings>Printers. As you delete each one, Windows should ask you if you want to delete any files that were associated with that printer. Then reinstall the driver from a fresh download off the web.. BTW, what printer are we talking about here?

Registered User Stanley_Kubrick's Avatar

The printer in question is an epson 600q. I have also tried a lexmarkz12.
    I have been deleting them from control panel and re-installing them whenever i change a variable.
    But what i'm trying to get at is whatever is underneath the drivers- what system files are involved, and if they be replaced with known good ones...
    Jesus Saves.

Gretzky recovers... He shoots... HE SCORES!!!

I know when I had problems with HP drivers, I just ran a search for hp*.*, and moved everything I found to a different location. Many of these files were found in the Windows\system directory. Then I'd reinstall the printer with the current drivers. That typically worked every time.

Unfortunately you are talking about printers I have rarely had to troubleshoot, I don't know if they have a common naming convention with the driver files.