Motherboard chipset fans, need em or not ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Motherboard chipset fans, need em or not ?

Lightbulb

You can buy replacement fans cheap...

Try <a href="http://www.3dfxcool" target="_blank">3DFXCOOL</a> <a href="http://3Dcool.com" target="_blank">3DCOOL.com</a>

Click on the following links...

Hope this helps
    Tyan Trinity 400 Mobo
    Pentium3 933MHZ 133MHZ bus
    ATI Radeon 7000 AGP
    SoundBlaster Live XGamer 5.1
    512 Megs of Kingston PC133 SDRAM
    Windows XP Professional
    -------------
    RW
    A+

Smile

I ahve always believed in removing as much heat as possible. I have been fanning and heatsinking both chip set and video for about 4 years. If it gets too hot to comfortably leave my finger on then I fan it. Am I over cautious? perhaps, but then I understand the fact that heat is the worst enemy of anything electronic. You will be able to operate without the fan for a while, But do get a replacement.
    If life is a bitch, then what is death? I believe that I will take the bitch...

Though the chipset fan is most likely dead, it sounds as if some of your mainboard fan headers are cashing in. I've had that happen on a few boards which is why I prefer to run fans -especially the big ones - right from the PS. The little 486 jobs are easy to find but if you have another fan running on it, f**k it. You're good.

In the case of the ASUS board with an AMD processor on it I can tell you that it is a bad idea for sure. I had a 1.2GB T-Bird running on one of those and the system temp was running over 100f and the CPU running around 130 under no load. ASUS makes a great board but they run hot as hell. Theres a reason that fan is there.
    I dont feel tardy...

[quote]Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    <strong>

. . . . . . .Tell me? How many people keep a motherboard for more than 4 years???? About 3-4%???</strong><hr></blockquote>

From a previous
    <a href="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum3/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=002699&p=4" target="_blank">post </a>
    [quote]Originally posted by Poseidon:
    <strong>Eight. All up and running 24/7. Why? Because I can (I can't find myself to throw away / stop using the older ones).

. . .</strong><hr></blockquote>

I do. I can not find it in myself to get rid of them just because they are old!
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Talking

I'm using an MSI board (overclocked), with 2 fans. Don't trust just 1 in this situation.
    Works fine for the last 3 yrs now.

Brad m

In the case of the A7V-133 a good heatsink would probably do the job.

Something to watch out for on other motherboards is that the chipset fan circulates air over the voltage regulators as well as cooling the northbridge.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.