[RESOLVED] Videoconferencing w/ Netmeeting & CUSeeMe

Thread: [RESOLVED] Videoconferencing w/ Netmeeting & CUSeeMe

Borgmaster

Resolved [RESOLVED] Videoconferencing w/ Netmeeting & CUSeeMe

I have a client for whom we're working to get video conferencing set up using either Netmeeting or CUSeeMe Pro. We've tried both. We are able to connect fine and get video from both terminals but the audio is totally crappy on one end or no audio at all. It comes through fine the other way. CUSeeMe tech support suggests that the DSL provider might have firewall/security software on the wire that interferes with this. For 3 days have been unable to get through to a tech support at Speedsl.net that can answer the question. At the client's site we have DSL running through a Netopia router and it has been configured to allow Netmeeting and CuSeeme traffic. Any clues?

MacGyver

If the DSL is ADSL - A for asymetric - then the upload speed is typically 12-25% of of the download speed. A lot of DSL service (especially residential) is only half-duplex as well, so you can't upload and download at full speed simultaneously.

We tried using CUCME + Netmeeting 3 at work for a video conference between Toronto and Calgary and the results were horrid. The audio was scratchy and the only video we could get was a green blob resembling a human being.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

Borgmaster

Cool

Sounds like some good ideas. I'll see what data I can get out of the DSL provider. They aren't the easiest to get through to.

StevePorter

Question

Does anyone have any experience with the little webcams like 3Com's Homeconnect Digital webcam Intel's Pro PC webcam? Do these little webcams result in trashy images and sound?

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."