[RESOLVED] What ever you do don't buy one of these....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] What ever you do don't buy one of these....

Junka

Angry What ever you do don't buy one of these....

Here is a warning to any poor soul about to buy an Abit KT7A Mobo. “Don’t do it”
    I bought mine 4 months ago and it took that long to sort out all the problems with the bastnet thing. SoundBlaster problems Geforce problems, you friggin name it problems with it. Then just when I get the sobbin git running like a dream the wissin dap thing dies dead on me.
    After confirming the MB was faulty by Dabs they tell me its Abits policy to have the MB returned to them for repair, which will take a minimum of 4 weeks. “4 gobblin weeks…. I ask you is that sain?”.
    Though no fault of my own but the fault of Abit for saving a few bob installing garb parts, I am to wait a min: of 4 weeks without my beloved muter. Now does that sound fair to you?
    And the thing is we all know when I get the wuggering thing back it still won’t work so Ill have to send it back yet again, this will go on for about 12 years till finally they replace it like they should have done right at the start.
    It’s not worth the heartache buy something more reliable.

Regards JJ

------------------
    I apologise for any bad language I may have left out.

freddy the fisherman

ye i had a simular prob with dabs ,,,,they had my Philips cd writer away for 9 weeks (then it came back faulty)
    when i spoke to philips they said it should have been exchanged 1 for 1 and i could have had it in the post within 48hrs
    stopped using dabs now pay the extra 10% local and if the part dont work ,,,,strieght back and swop.

It may well be Abits policy to repair but under the Sale of Goods Act you are entitled to a replacement, repair or refund. Your contract of sale was with Dabs and it is they who are responsible to you, not Abit. You should contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for all the relevant legal mumbo jumbo and then phone Dabs and spout it all down the phone to them. You should get a refund without any problems. Consult the CAB on your rights, don't let these muppets walk all over you!

------------------
    ======
    orange
    ======
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

Here in the states it has always been the vendor who is responsible. My wholesalers always exchange for one year and I have to deal with the manufacturer after that (such as Hard drives and Monitors with more than a one year MFG. warranty). Dabs should be giving you the exchange/refund and then they need to deal with their supplier....

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.

[This message has been edited by sowulo (edited September 09, 2001).]
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Junka

Red face

That was the last time I will use Dabs, not just because they diden't offer to replace my MB but there attitude over the phone stinks. You feel as if they are thinking"Get of this line and stop bothering me scumbag".
    I think maybe I should write to some of the mags watchdog pages, they usually get a result.
    Thanks for the input guys.

JJ

------------------

Cool

I Disagree, Been using one for a year now and had very little trouble, still have a problem with the Soundblaster card - but this is related to certain VIA chipsets in general.

Most of the teething troubles (random lockups, etc) went away after installing a bigger and better power supply (Enermax 350 Watt).

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

Darren Wilson

No problems here whatsoever with the KT7A-RAID board and SB Live! card. I have yet to experience any of the reported faults with the combination and this system here is rock solid on all operating systems.

The problems lay with what drivers & BIOS settings that you use.

There is nothing wrong with the KT7A-RAID boards at all. If there was then why is it one of the best selling boards with the KT133A chipset???

Also the problems with the SB Live! & GeForce will occur on ALL (regardless of manufacturer) VIA KT133 boards (686B southbridge) if the BIOS is not set up correctly.

Very strange that I have not had to return ONE KT7A-RAID board to any of my suppliers, nor had any come back to me with problems (and I have supplied a bloody lot of them).

------------------
    Yes it is the real deal

godofuq

Hmm, that's wierd.

I have an Abit KT7A with SB Live! and Geforce2 MX400 and mine works great. Had a couple of small problems with configuring it properly but once those were worked out, it's a dream.

------------------
    I feel like a little worm on a big f*****g hook.

Junka

Talking

I diden't mind the problems with drivers and stuff, it was the board rolling over and sticking its legs in the air that wissed me off. Then the fact that I have to wait so long for the gobbin thing to get repaired.

JJ

------------------

Darren Wilson

That is down to Dabs RMA policy not Abit. I have only had to return one Abit board (that failed after a fair bit of use & not a KT7A-RAID) myself and that was replaced by my supplier next working day with no arguements!!!!

Also any friends that have had to RMA boards back to Abit themselves have had no problems at all and have been sorted out within 28 days (which is a standard Manufacturers turnaround and not ust Abit but ALL electronic goods manufacturers that do not have onsite warranties). Best bet is to skip Dabs totally and to deal direct with Abit. I have actually been down to their HQ in Stevenage and had goods (not Mobo's) replaced 'on the spot' after a phone call notifying them of my plans.

Here are Abit's UK details

ABIT Computer Corporation Ltd.
    Unit 3, 24-26 Boulton Road,
    Stevenage, Herts SG1 4QX, UK
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    Tel: 44-1438-228 888
    Fax: 44-1438-226 333

------------------
    Yes it is the real deal

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited September 12, 2001).]

I will agree with DW on this one.

------------------

I think it is time to open this!!

mineman

Cool

I will have to agrre with some of the other people about abit being a top notch mother board. Got the same board here had a slight problem with sound and nic card but moved them around as noted in the manual and everything worked great. I am having a problem with my machine but I trully believe its in the os. As for the hardware with abit I did have a problem with a be6 II and my supllier replaced it with the new rev. and never had a prob. I would stay away from who ever you bought it from. Last but not least remember that boards are made on an assembly line and every mfg. will have a reject pop up now and then. I recently bought the new board Kg7 -raid from abit and it works nice granted put in a 1.4 and it worked for a few days and next thing I know the machine wouldnt post or nothing. Took the 1.4 back and my supplier siad the cpu is bad. I tested the board out with a 1.2 and it worked fine. So that lead me to the cpu. I hope that this new one wont do the same as the 1st one did.

Warp_Core

Junka- snap! I'm sitting here now halfway through my 4-week wait to get my KT7-R back. So Abit are going to 'repair' my board, are they? Well here I am, all wide-eyed and believing it. I worked for a company that recycled computers, and the MD told us he'd employed a guy who knew mobos to 'component level'. When we looked a bit non-plussed, he looked all sheepish. When we asked him if he was going to pay this guy to sit around all day de-soldering and re-soldering, waiting for esoteric components that Intel probably wouldn't supply anyway, so he could save a board worth maybe £50 max, he looked even more sheepish. Sap. My board ran like a dream for 7 months; then I started getting problems like the connection to my other machine (this one, an i820 that despite all the bad press they got has NEVER given me any trouble) going up and down, accounts getting corrupted under W2K, etc, etc. Then it just died, quietly, in it's sleep. Dabs used to be OK, but this has not pleased me, as you can probably tell. Still, misery loves company.

Junka

Angry

DW..
    Thanks for the useful info and especially for the address. I wish I had that before I took the Dabs option, could have saved myself some trouble.

Warp_core.
    Its really nice to know I’m not the only unlucky SOB in the computer community, wuck if after this is returned and it goes pop on me again, the woddin thing is going back warp speed.

Regards JJ

------------------

Warp_Core

Junka- Yeah, I know what you mean; now, if I get another Abit board (and it looks like that's all that's going to be on offer), however well it runs I'm going to be just waiting for the bastard to go belly-up again. Still, such is life. Hope your replacement is OK.