How can I get an AT power switch to work like an ATX switch?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How can I get an AT power switch to work like an ATX switch?

Post How can I get an AT power switch to work like an ATX switch?

To the the one(s) with knowledge,

Is there any easy way to wire an AT power switch so that it can use the two ATX wire leads to plug into the motherboard; in essence convert the AT switch from a "hard" power switch to a "soft" switch? I have already tried detaching the four wires from the AT switch and hooking the two wires from the ATX switch to two prongs on the AT switch (that form a closed circuit when the switch is depressed) and hooking it to the motherboard. Under this setup the system comes on when I press the button, but shuts off in approximately three seconds. I've tried two different AT switches and got the same results. What could the problem be? Am I possibly shorting something out? Is this more dangerous than I think it is? Perhaps there's a company somewhere that makes an AT switch to ATX wire converter?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

One of the major differences between the AT and ATX power specs is in how the power is turned on. With ATX, the power switch is soft so that an external event like "Wake-on-LAN" or a modem ringing can turn on the computer. With AT, the power switch is a hard on/off toggle.

From past experience, I would say what you are doing is relatively dangerous to both you and the computer components. I'm surprised your MOBO is still alive in all truthfulness. Best of luck.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

ATX is simply a button, whereas AT is an actual switch. Get a spring button (current flows only when button is depressed) at Radio Shack if you really want to do it. But I agree with the guys here.
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of

Right now the motherboard thinks that the switch is being held down so it is turning the system off. You should be able to hit the switch so it comes on, then hit it again so it opens the circuit to keep the system on.
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.

Red face

Man,
    Why Messing with your computer?
    Is it hard to Switch the Power on?
    Or Shut Down from the sam Button?

I really don't get it.... Why Messing with this.
    You WILL Eventually render your computer to be unusable.
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

This will only be possible if you are using an ATX power supply. And only then with luck...

If you are using an AT power supply no amount of "fiddling" with the switch will change the way the power operates.

Please if your motherboard can use ATX power supplies, stay safe and buy a new case, they really aren't THAT expensive.

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

AT power switch = switches mains to whole 'puter (inc PSU).
    ATX power switch = switches low voltage - tells the motherboard to tell the power supply to leave standby mode for full operation.

I'm amazed your board still works. Just buy an ATX case!!!
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Yes it is possible to convert the AT power button to an ATX style soft power button. Unsolder the leads and remove the switch. It should have a metal cover over it with two 'legs' at one end, which have been splayed apart to keep the cover on. Use a pair of pliers to un-splay the legs and the cover should lift off. You can now see the workings of the switch. If you operate the switch very gently you should see the latching mechanism, which is normally just a spring pin. If you remove that pin, the switch will not lock into the ON position and will therefore act like a soft power switch. Reassemble and refit. Solder on a flying lead to attach to the mobo and it should work (I find a CDROM SPDIF lead works as a good soft power lead in this instance). Obviously, your switch may be different but they all work on the same principle and i haven't come across any yet that i haven't been able to modify.

Please note, i have done this countless times and it does work. However, i know what i'm doing, i have an ONC in Electronics/Electrical Engineering and i found it very straight forward. For the sake of your motherboard and possibly your life, i would advise you just buy a proper ATX case.
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

[quote]Originally posted by orange:
    <strong>Yes it is possible to convert the AT power button to an ATX style soft power button. Unsolder the leads and remove the switch. It should have a metal cover over it with two 'legs' at one end, which have been splayed apart to keep the cover on. Use a pair of pliers to un-splay the legs and the cover should lift off. You can now see the workings of the switch. If you operate the switch very gently you should see the latching mechanism, which is normally just a spring pin. If you remove that pin, the switch will not lock into the ON position and will therefore act like a soft power switch. Reassemble and refit. Solder on a flying lead to attach to the mobo and it should work (I find a CDROM SPDIF lead works as a good soft power lead in this instance). Obviously, your switch may be different but they all work on the same principle and i haven't come across any yet that i haven't been able to modify.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

ORANGE is correct. I have done the same a hubndred times. I have a Tiger Direct Case that has been working perfectly for three years like that.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Talking

I had the same problem but I just screwed the AT switch where a 9-pin connector goes, no point screwing the comp and your life.

akautz

Oops. I notice that I neglected to mention that I am using an ATX power supply.

To briefly explain, I was swapping an AT mobo with an ATX mobo and attempting to use the case that the AT mobo was in.

I don't think what I am trying to do is impractical because I had a good, empty ATX case lying around, the case that housed the AT mobo was sturdy and had a removable back plate (and I had an ATX backplate available), and I had a good AMD approved ATX power supply lying around. Therefore, all I needed to make the case work with the ATX mobo was an ATX soft power switch.

-Adam

[This message has been edited by akautz (edited October 06, 2001).]

Thanks for the info orange! I'll try following your advice and let you know what happens. BTW- What is a CDROM SPDIF lead and where can I purchase one? Never the less, for this operation I'll probably just cut the lead from an old (defective) ATX case I have lying around.

Thanks again,
    Adam

Senior Member - 1000+ Club Outcoded's Avatar
    Somewhere in the UK, never quite sure where

Sounds good to me.

SPDIF leads communicate music from the CD-ROM to the sound card digitally, as opposed to analogously (you Americans probably spell that a different way) as your average four-wire audio cable does. SPDIF leads are two-wire, you can get them from most computer shops.
    I'm in charge and I say we blow it up

Exclamation

Before you hack up your swich , Why not just go out and buyt an ATX switch for your case , I have purchased a couple that mount right into the AT case and plug onto the power pins of the mobo, I keep one switch for my test bench
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )