Flickering video problem. HELP!!!!!

Thread: Flickering video problem. HELP!!!!!

Cool Flickering video problem. HELP!!!!!

I have a Voodoo3 PCI video card that worked fine in my old system, AMD K6-2 333Mhz win98 SE. Now I bought a new system, AMD T-bird 850Mhz win 98 SE. When I start the system it runs fine for about 30 minutes. Then it starts to flicker. It seems to flicker when a program is loading. It flickers and slows the computer even when rebooting after warming up. When I check the system monitor, it show the CPU at 107 F, and case tem around 80F. The video card on the other hand is VERY hot to the touch. I need to know if this sounds like the video card, or a conflict.
    System Specs:
    Athalon T-Bird 850 Mhz 100 FSB Slot A
    Gigabyte Board 7IXE Slot A ATA/66
    Seagate 20 Ultra ATA/100 7200 RPM
    Soundblaster PCI 128 sound
    256 MB PC100 RAM
    Kingston PCI NIC
    Samsung 8x DVD-ROM
    Creative 12x10x32 CDRW Drive

Thanx in advance!!
    Casey

The easiest way to deal with the flickering video problem, is to blink your eyes at the same speed as it flickers, and it will be perfect!

Ok- serously now, i had this same hardware configuration with a 700MHz with no problems at all. shouldn't bne hardware related. did you fully reinsatll windows? or just move the drive to this system? if you just moved the drive, it may be that you need to reload windows.
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

Talking

Could very well be a driver conflict...
    Could also be your monitor.. did you try to shut off your monitor for a minute and turn it back on when it flickers?
    if flicker goes away.. might be time for new monitor
    Spend One Hour of Every Day Like it was Your last, you'll Live much better that way

Thanx for the suggestions, but i doubt blinkin' my eyes will help!!

The Drive is new and I doubt it is a driver conflict as it happens in DOS as well. When it flickers, it feels as if the system slows and then goes back to normal. The flickering started when I was formatting the drive at about 25%. I have done a full install of Win98 SE and still the problem persists. Does the board being an ATA/66 and the Drive being an ATA/100 make a difference. I know you can use an ATA/66 on an ATA/33 board, just not at the full potential. I am stumped on this one!!

Some times if the flicker is real bad, the system speaker will beep, but no discernable beep pattern, so I can't look up the code in my books. Some times the flicker is so bad that the screen goes blank and comes back. I doubt the monitor is the culprit as the system slows to a near stop when the flicker happens.

The flicker was real bad when my brother in law had his V2 accelerator in the comp as well and the V3 card. I pulled the V2 and the flicker almost stopped. Also, my Bro-in-law overclocked the V3 Card. I don't know if this will cause this problem or not.

Thanx

Talking

Go into your CMOS setup and see what the primary display is set to, If your video card is a PCI card set the primary display to PCI , if it is an AGP card set the primary display to AGP , Also is your power supply AMD approved ( 300 watts and above )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

Sounds like a PSU problem to me, try changing to at least a 300watt, preferably AMD approved. Also you could try some extra case cooling...perhaps the Voodoo is getting to hot now...
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

From gaseous clouds forming around Uranus

It just might be your V3. You say your Brother-in-law over clocked it right? He might of fried it. If the card seems to run alright for the first thirty minutes and then starts to slow the whole system down and then starts to flicker, the card just might have some cold solder joints on it now. It might be time to replace that card now.

If you want to try a cheap way out first, I would install a slot fan right under the V3, that way it would draw the heat right from the heatsink of the V3. The slot fan might keep the card cool enough so the cold solder joints don't effect it's performance.

But if I was you I'd replace the card, it might of been overclocked too much.
    "Oh my beloved Ice Cream Bar, how I love to lick your creamy center" - Ren

I'd say you've cooked it! Try hacking an old cpu cooler and stick this where it is hottest, 1/2 hour before it falls over seems quite a while, you could try underclocking the video and see if this improves things then I guess you'll have the answer..

Try different Refresh Rates.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.