Y2k+1 problem!

Thread: Y2k+1 problem!

Post Y2k+1 problem!

I have a computer that worked okay after recieving it's y2k fix. Now after hitting 12/31/2000 it is having all kinds of problems. The cmos will reset to 2094 everytime you reboot if you set the date beyond 12/31/1999. After applying fix the windows then believes it to be 1994. Anyone hear of this or know of a fix or will the customer just have to live with the wrong date?

Thanks in advance.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Well if it were me I would not make the customer just live with the wrong date.
    If you are positive there are no viruses I would upgrade the board to a known Y2K compliant one.

Well replacing the board is not an option. This is her second computer( mainly for kids) and she doesn't want to spend alot. And if we replace the board we also must replace the cpu/memory. It's a 486dx2 and so hard to JUST replace the board. I suppose I could try and flash the bios if I can find an update(?). Thanks for the response though.

GLSmith

d_dcomp

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shard92:
    I have a computer that worked okay after recieving it's y2k fix. Now after hitting 12/31/2000 it is having all kinds of problems. The cmos will reset to 2094 everytime you reboot if you set the date beyond 12/31/1999. After applying fix the windows then believes it to be 1994. Anyone hear of this or know of a fix or will the customer just have to live with the wrong date?

Thanks in advance.

GLSmith
    </font>

What version of winders you running there might be a y2k service pack if your running 95. I have heard of that problem on some 95 machines never personally seen it but heard about it.

Oops should read more carefully! If problem occurs just going to dos out of the bios startup you going to have to find a flash for the bios or one of those y2k fix cards.

Good Luck
    ------------------
    Later days and better leis!!

[This message has been edited by d_dcomp (edited January 05, 2001).]

hey man just a sug. how about installing one of those bios chips that come on a isa card. All you do is pop it in and pray. I know that on several of the older 486 machines as well as some 386 machines, these chips worked fine. I believe they run about 20-40 dollars yall.

hey its me again!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shard92:
    This is her second computer( mainly for kids) and she doesn't want to spend alot.
    </font>
    For the kids? Heck! Who cares what the date is.
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

Protechpc I know who cares if it just ends up with the kids but I was curious myself wether anyone else had seen the problem. My boss just talked to someone on the phone who the same problem. I guess this might be a new "epidemic". Maybe it's planned upgrade reasoning by the hardware manufacturers?
    Anyway thanks for responding everyone!

GLSmith

I've seen this on some of the late model 486 systems. The only way to fix it is to flash the BIOS. Find out what BIOS the board has, AMI, AWARD, etc...They all have there own y2k setion on their respective web pages.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by protechpc:
    For the kids? Heck! Who cares what the date is.</font>
    yea just install Doom 2 on there and the kids will be happy. They can't tell time anyway!

------------------
    "You dumb bastard...it's not a schooner, it's a sailboat!"

b_fleury

You'll be really lucky if you have a 486 with a flashable bios.

Orangemon1

What motherboard does system have. I know the AOpen AP57 needed to have the latest bios veersion to be Y2K compatible. And it switches to 2096 without it.

dlagace

Just leave it alone really the date doesn't matter, 486's are more or less garbage unless you give it to your kids for them to finish it of, I do strictly house calls and refuse to work on them any more all they are are big headaches, and very expensive for the customer .... even if you fix something they end up buying another sytem soon after ....just tell them the truth it will cost too much in time and in parts to fix it..

------------------
    IF IN DOUBT FDISK /MBR especially with
    Windows (CTRL ALT DEL) 98

iateyourcat

Well replacing the board is not an option. This is her second computer( mainly for kids) and she doesn't want to spend alot. </font>
    your screwed man.

------------------
    =-iateyourcat-=

Thanks everyone but problem solved. It's the kids and not worth putting money into. This lady is a very good customer of ours she has at least 2 other computers ( All of which she has bought from my boss at some time or another. ) and she greatly appreciates our honesty ( which is why she keeps coming back to us ) so.... Kids will just have to remember the date on their own.

By the by for those of you like me and are curious, it is an ASUS motherboard but I don't remember the exact model

GLSmith