[RESOLVED] Best fans for T-bird based systems ( Recommendations plz ).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Best fans for T-bird based systems ( Recommendations plz ).

bluewest11

Resolved [RESOLVED] Best fans for T-bird based systems ( Recommendations plz ).

I am now in the process of deciding which cooling fans/systems work best with the T-bird 1.2Ghz and the Abit KT7A-RAID. I will also be using the SX1240 full tower 400W case by Antec. There are so many options regarding temperature control and as thermal issues are prevalent with the high end AMD processors, I thought I'd better consult on this matter before I make an order and build my system. After all, I don't want to damage all the expensive hardware due to not giving this all too often overlooked element enough thought.

Thanks in advance.

PS: Cost is not an issue regarding thermal control. I want what works.

------------------
    I want to know everything.

http://www.thermaltake.com/

Check out the coolers here. I heard alot of good stuff about them in these boards and recently experienced them in person. It's a great unit!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

[This message has been edited by Larommi (edited February 18, 2001).]

Darren Wilson

The standard Thermaltake fans are too big for a KT7A-RAID believe me!!!!! Unless you want to tape around the Capacitors by the CPU socket the plastic casing of the Caps will melt under the heat off the Chrome Orb etc. Unless you want to go for one of their new Mini Orbs, that are slightly slimmer then you have to tape the Caps. Believe it or not a Cooler Master DP5-6H51-A1 fan that can be found on AMD's HSF list, will keep the CPU cooler than the Thermal Take solution. Believe or not as well, NONE of the ThermalTake fans are recommended by AMD on their HSF list!!!

Check out the AMD recomendations for cooling for the Athlon CPU's HERE

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

[This message has been edited by Darren Wilson (edited February 18, 2001).]

arcade

i use cooler master (www.coolermaster.com), they're pretty good with my tb 1.2ghz

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    The standard Thermaltake fans are too big for a KT7A-RAID believe me!!!!! Unless you want to tape around the Capacitors by the CPU socket the plastic casing of the Caps will melt under the heat off the Chrome Orb etc. Unless you want to go for one of their new Mini Orbs, that are slightly slimmer then you have to tape the Caps. Believe it or not a Cooler Master DP5-6H51-A1 fan that can be found on AMD's HSF list, will keep the CPU cooler than the Thermal Take solution. Believe or not as well, NONE of the ThermalTake fans are recommended by AMD on their HSF list!!!

</font>
    Good to know about how well it fits on the Abit. I personally have not used the Abit board and was unaware of the size constraints. (works good on the new Asus raid board though) I am not surprised its not on the AMD list though. That list always seems behind the times. Took forever for some of the more popular boards to make the list!
    Thanks for the heads up Darren! By the way, glad to see your setup is working for you!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

i use coolermaster too on my ghz bird
    it stays cool, and the fan is pretty quiet, combined with my other fans and hdd - ts pretty quiet, given that my ath 600 (slot) had 2 6000 rpm fans (love the occilation becuase of the voltage control was in flux)
    that thing got on my nerves (play on it for about an hour and had to end session due to un-nerving)

get the quietest fans you can... it makes a difference on how well you can do things.

bluewest11

Thanks a lot for the info on this subject guys. Despite all the planning I am putting into this upgrade this could have been quite an annoying, if not dangerous, stumbling block if I had not requested advice. Coolermaster DPF 6H11 it is then, along with numerous other chassis fans and any thing else recommended to me. The cooler the better.

Thank you!

------------------

bluewest11

Sorry, I mean DP5 6H51-A1, Little mix up with product codes.

------------------

bluewest11

I have just been looking for a Coolermaster DP5 6H51 on-line and I came across the: Coolermaster (CH5-5K12) Heat Pipe Radiator H/S/F Upto 1.7Ghz at http://www.scan.co.uk
    This piece of kit is a lot more expensive and seems to be better made than the DP5 6H51 (which is also present at this site). I was wondering is anyone had any experience at fitting a Coolermaster (CH5-5K12) Heat Pipe Radiator H/S/F to the Abit KT7A-RAID and if there is any problems with fitting etc...

I would also like to add there are some very good deals regarding prices and quality at the above mentioned site, some of the cheapest I have seen whilst surfing for hardware in the UK. Thanks to "Who Cares" who posted the link on a previous post of mine. Have a look at the "Today only" section if you have time.

------------------

bluewest11

The following article is just something I picked up looking around www.tomshardware.com

I thought anyone interested in this topic may find the article interesting or useful.

Article URL:

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001211/index.html

------------------

if you do get a coolermaster - scrape off the "pad" they include, i took it off and put some real thermal grease (generic radio shack brand) on it and it dropped a good 5 degrees (like you said - cooler is better)
    imagine if you put arctic silver on it...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kannibul:
    if you do get a coolermaster - scrape off the "pad" they include, i took it off and put some real thermal grease (generic radio shack brand) on it and it dropped a good 5 degrees (like you said - cooler is better)
    imagine if you put arctic silver on it...
    </font>
    Actually, the coolermaster 1 ghz+ certified fans do very well, even with the stock thermal sticky. I never had a problem with them, and it's harder to zap the CPU with some mislaid conductive thermal grease.

Coolermasters are good, and AGilent ArctiCoolers are GREAT....quiet and icy.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

PBase001

I thinking of ordering a better HSF for my upcoming CPU upgrade as well, but checking around you might want to try the GlobalWin FOP38 or the GlobalWin FOP32.

Direct link to GlobalWin...

http://www.globalwinusa.com/main.htm

Reviews can be found anywhere for these things, they're pretty descent.

I'm checking out the Swiftech's MC462.

Directlink to Swiftech is...

www.swiftnets.com

And a review...

http://www.overclockers.com/articles347/

All three are ABit K7A compatible. If you want some review links to the GlobalWin's let me know.

bluewest11

Thanks for the link, PBase001.

Thanks to your post I have found the following site which will be very useful to me.

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/

Thanks again!

------------------

Rocinante

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Believe it or not a Cooler Master DP5-6H51-A1 fan that can be found on AMD's HSF list, will keep the CPU cooler than the Thermal Take solution. Believe or not as well, NONE of the ThermalTake fans are recommended by AMD on their HSF list!!!

</font>
    I only use these fans, simply because they are recommended by AMD, they are very efficient at cooling, and great value.

------------------
    on tonights menu - special fried bios