Ghost Problems....

Thread: Ghost Problems....

Lightbulb Ghost Problems....

Hi All,
    Here's the go. I am changing over servers ( to a new faster beter server ) and have done a ghost accross. try to boot and get run time errors....can't boot. Do a fresh install over the top of the existing version of Win 2000 server. Replace the .ini file with a copy from the old server, and I can now boot. Backup the registery to replace the current config but it will not over write the current reg. even with all services that can be turned off off. How can I get the registry back in there to get all the config and apps back on line?
    What have I missed?

Thanks in advance guy's/gall's

Yoshie
    It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

Exclamation

norton ghost requires that the systems be nearly exactly allike. same config ect. only small differenced in proessor of HDD are going to work. (P2 any speed, but no P3's, or P3 of any speed but no AMD's)

to make this work you should pull the HDD out of the new system, install it in the old unit, ghost your old system onto the new drive. Switch the drives so that the new drive is now running the system. At this point you can use a windows tool (I forget its name sysprep??) it removes all security identifyers, drivers, ect, and makes the OS ready to be moved to a different machine.

Now move the new drive back to the new system and restore the old drive to its orgnal location in its system. When you boot the new system the OS will rebuild the securtity logs, and device drives just like a fresh install.

All done.

Im fairly sure that this will work, Mircosoft uses a simmilar process when settung up a large network with simmialr configuratings using Ghost. (even divergent technologys should work (withing reason, can't change from Intel to MIPS, must be Intel to Intel ect.) as the preperation tool removes the drivers.

Let me know.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.