Experienced Tech Question

Thread: Experienced Tech Question

Post Experienced Tech Question

I have ran into this following problem multiple times in this past few months. All of the problems had similiar setups: the computer is hooked to a peer-to-peer network with Win98. They all varied in CPU and hardware. The problem: The computer is really slow, opening up documents is extremely slow and printing is also VERY slow (5 minutes a page). I know the cause I just don't know get rid of it permanetly. The cause is usually a file in startup called Network.exe or network.vbs. I can delete these and the system is fine for a few days but it always comes back. NO Virus scan will detect it (I have tried Norton, McAfee and a few others all with the newest Definition) Has anyone figured this problem out. I have seen the problem at least 10 times in the past year. Thanks in advance.
    Milkstache, what's that ?

just a question, isn't the .vbs extension related somehow to email viruses or trojans ?

just a thought ..

I know that you mentioned that you have tried antivirus SW. Just a thought..
    hey its me again!

vbs is a Visual Basic Script
    Milkstache, what's that ?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

you may have a virus. go to this link and read about it.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...s.network.html

[This message has been edited by techs (edited November 07, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

VBS is a visual basic script file - the I Love You virus was a VBS. Do a search for the file on all the machines. Chack the registry and all programs running on startup for this file. Try a different virus scan program. As a temporary solution create a batch file in the autoexec.bat file that automatically deletes this file before the machine starts windows.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Have you tried a dos based virus scan like f-prot? I have seen both norton and Mccafee miss virii when windows is running. Like others have said .vbs is visual basic script and alot of virus use that. It was a big trend for awhile as it was easy to spread and disguise. If you don't need it for other things try disabling visual basic script in win98. Go to add/remove programs windows setup and remove it. I think it's in accessories. I know IE likes it too but I usually just turn it off as so many virii use it.

My two cents.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

You have the Netlog VBS virus. Here's enough info about it that you should be able to remove it manually. I've done it several times with no problem.
    <a href="http://www.data-fellows.com/v-descs/netlog.htm">http://www.data-fellows.com/v-descs/netlog.htm</a>

Also, Microsoft has issued a patch that will prevent you from getting more VBS viruses. I load it on almost all the machines I work on, just in case. Here's the address:

<a href="ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x86/q240308.exe">ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/peropsys/IE/IE-Public/Fixes/usa/Eyedog-fix/x86/q240308.exe</a>

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by sykophreak (edited November 08, 2000).]

I'm pretty sure it's a virus.
    I had a similar situation a month ago.

Two machines, a PC and a laptop, were connected together as a network.
    Some day, the laptop started acting weird. It needed about 5-7 mins to startup Win98 and it was very slow.
    You pressed the "Start" button and it needed about 2-3 minutes to display the menu.
    When I was trying to open a document, Word needed about 5 mins to load it and sometimes I got a message on blue screen saying that I had no free resources.
    The same things were happening on the other machine too.

I searched for a virus using clean DOS antivirus disks with the latest virus-definitions, but didn't find any.

Finally, I copied the needed files on another disk, formatted both drives and installed Windows. Everything worked fine!

Don't waste your time trying to figure it out. Talk to the customer, backup the needed files and reinstall everything. That's my opinion. Time is money!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.