[RESOLVED] Restoring a Packard Bell

Thread: [RESOLVED] Restoring a Packard Bell

Archangel_of_Underworld

Resolved [RESOLVED] Restoring a Packard Bell

When I go to restore this custys pac-bell it asks me for the hard drive format number found on the user manual. I've got no user manual. It it not any old crack either. Can anyone give me a valid number or tell me where to find one?

------------------
    If you are going to do it once you might as well do it right.

Each system had it's own number, you have to use that number only to get the restore disk to work. If you don't have the number/user manual I don't beleive you can get the restore disk to work. However, check the back of the tower, a lot of times the number is on a sticker affixed to the tower.

3fingersalute

Another thing that works, is on the cd somewhere ( I forger where, I would have to browse the cd to be able to tell you) there is a directory that has some other directories whose names are numbers.

Write these down and try them, this almost always works.

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

Lightbulb

if you go into the fdisk from dos and look at the label of the hard drive it should have the number there.
    When all else fails jiggle the cable and reboot.

Cool

I have found that, if you do not have the number, you can normally do a generic install. Once the request pops up for the number, go past and typically the "system" will ask if you wish to proceed with a generic installation.

------------------
    Need a website? We can help!
    protechpc.com
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall internet the world

Pogi

Archangel_of_Underworld ... what an appropriate name for someone who works on Packard Bells

go here: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/

there is a good chance you will find what you are looking for. I've never not found the PB info I've wanted at Ray's place.

SLASH

There is a 10(?) digit number beginning with 84 on the unit. Give it to me and I can more than likely give you the cd part number and the Hard Drive format number to use.

pga

Originally posted by protechpc:
    I have found that, if you do not have the number, you can normally do a generic install. Once the request pops up for the number, go past and typically the "system" will ask if you wish to proceed with a generic installation.
    Agreed, have done this a few dozen times.

On one or two occassions it would not allow me to do this, but the CD had the standard "Win95" directory (with the "setup.exe" file, unlike a companion CD) and I was able to install windows from that directory. Then each programs like works, money, games, all had separate install directories on the CD.