Need advice

Thread: Need advice

Smile Need advice

High guys, I have two computers, but I want three OS win98, win2000, and win2000 server on the two machines. Right now, only one computer is built. It has win2000 on it with NTFS. So basically, one of the machine has to be dual booted and the other will be standalone. I want to simulate the corporate office as close as possible. I plan to install everything on the server: RAS, DHCP, you name it. If I have to blow away the machine now, What 's the best way to safe outlook files and address book. Thanks for your input.

3fingersalute

not sure I'm following what you are asking.

Are you asking how to setup a dual-boot or are you just asking how to save email and address books?

If you just want to save address book and emails, it depends on what email program you're using. If it is Outlook Express, your windows or winnt directory will have a directory will have an "Application Directory" in it that will have your address book and all emails and folders.

To setup dual-boot, I would wipe and re-partition just to get a clean start. Use FAT32, install Windows 98. After 98 is all installed, install 2000 and it will automatically load a boot loader that will allow you to choose between WIN98 and WIN2000 on bootup.

If you need to do something else, you're gonna have to give some more info dude!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

Cool

I was just wondering what would be the best way. I actually had a dual boot before, but decided to wipe it out. But some apps are not working on win2000, so I have to do another dual boot. I was hoping there was another way (besides wiping out), but I think setting the first box with win98 and win2000 is the best way, while making the new box win2000 server. Thanks for response. I 'll look for files in my Outlook folder.

Talking

install server on one, install pro on the other and use vmware (www.vmware.com) to run any other os you would like to test. vmware only runs in linux and win2k. it is not an OS emulator it is a computer simulator that can be run inside another os, great for testing software/operating systems/seeing what a virus actually does/and tinkering. it does give you network access to test out networking. it does need some serious cpu/memory/harddrive power though since you are running 2 computers on one. or you can load win98 on the primary fat partition with 2k pro on another partition with ntfs if you'd like.
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)