[RESOLVED] Temporary Internet Files?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Temporary Internet Files?

pga

Post Temporary Internet Files?

Ok, this is the first time I have asked for help on the windrivers forum. I am stumped.

This customer who's always messing with something in Windows that he knows nothing about, just dropped off his system for his weekly repair (to fix the problems he created). Apparently he set his Temporary Internet Files to 0MB.

Ever see this when trying to enable Temporary Internet Files?

"Please select a value between 1 and 0 for how much Temporary Internet Files may use."

Of course, there is no number between 1 and 0! It will not allow me to enable temp interent files!

I've tried just about everything, and figure I'll just reload it, but wanted to give the forum a shot at it first.

He's got a ton of free space, tried moving the "Temporary Internet Files" folder, but it says their is not enough room in the destination directory.

Everything on the system works fine except this problem with I.E. (That and his cable connection is like a 14.4 with the temp files being disabled).

Of course, he doesn't remember what he did to cause the problem.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

what browser and version and what os?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

pga

duh... I'm the one who always asks people for more info!! And i didn't include the two most obvious things necessary!

Win98se w/I.E. 5.5

[This message has been edited by pga (edited November 09, 2000).]

I would try rebooting to dos, use deltree to delete the directory. Reboot to windows and let IE recreate the directory. (Sounds to me like it might be a fat error.)

In one of the really, really Blue states.

This is where that setting is kept in the registry. I run win98se and ie5.01 so it may be slightly different.
    hkey-local machine-software-microsoft-windows-current version- internet settings-5.0-cache-content

on the right you should see four things, the last three are cachelimit,cachepath,cacheprefix.
    Maybe you can see something wrong in there.

[This message has been edited by techs (edited November 09, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

try scanreg /restore back before he hosed it
    #3 1951-2001

3fingersalute

Pick a number between 1 and 0?....Gotta love Microsoft!!!!

The deltree from DOS or wacking Temp Interent Files reg keys soound like good options, let us know if you get a fix!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

LORE

Also, IE 5.5 has had a lot of problems, so i have heard, possibly remove IE 5.5 and install 5.01 That would also then recreate the internet temp file and might also fix the problem. If he is set on staying with 5.5, i would try the dos, deltree, and let it recreate, that was a good sugestion.

------------------
    We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us.

DocPC

Remove McAfee and try again. I'll bet he has McAfee Safe and Sound installed, or installed it and removed it wrong.

pga

Originally posted by DocPC:
    Remove McAfee and try again. I'll bet he has McAfee Safe and Sound installed, or installed it and removed it wrong.
    Ya know... I had already tried everything listed above prior to posting this topic. I contemplated it might be McAfee related, and searched their site, and also tried several search engines looking for McAfee related issues with IE temp files, I found nothing and never pursued it any further. I don't have much experience with McAfee, we stopped selling it a few years ago when the whole not being able to get into windows after installing it and the screenscan/opengl screen saver issues came up. (We only sell norton).

DocPC, you are the man! that was the problem, I read your post right after we hung up with the customer asking him to bring in his software so we could reload windows!

Thank you DocPC! and the rest of you for your suggestions!

DocPC

Anytime!!! Love to help.

pga

I owe you a beer, but I'm not sure when I'll be in ID