Bad online purchase
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad online purchase

Post Bad online purchase

I think I might of been shafted ordering some memory on-line. I used a new company that had a great price on DDR-ECC memory ($33 for 256MB)
    I ordered it last Tuesday and I have been trying to contact them since Friday. I just left my 3rd e-mail with them (sounding very non-satisfied) and when trying to call I only get voicemail...(I haven't left a voicemail, YET!)
    The company is <a href="http://www.techmia.com" target="_blank">www.techmia.com</a>
    What was that website to look these things up? It could be bad business, but they are out of Florida and that could be causing the delay...I don't want to call the BBB on them, but I need this memory now for a new system I'm building. I might have to pick some up on my way home tonight so I can put this together.
    ...I don't get it...

This has happened to me before. Stick with <a href="http://www.crucial.com" target="_blank">www.crucial.com</a> for RAM.

I shop at local stores for parts now and pay the extra just in case the part is a POS and needs to be returned.

Wink

Patience grasshopper.

What form of shipping did you use? The website lists 2-3 days to process the order (get it ready to ship) and then it gets to the delivery company. If you went with UPS ground, you'll get it when they are good and ready to get it to you (they don't have a set number of days to get it to you).

I made the mistake of ordering a motherboard with UPS ground and got it two weeks after date of order.
    Why bother with the A+?

Would you honestly feel comfortable handing your $1500 computer to someone who FAILED the A+ exam?

If you paid by credit card, call your credit card company and tell them what happened. Sometimes they will go after the lazy/crooked merchant on your behalf and credit your account.

Reseller Rating here:

<a href="http://www.resellerratings.com/cgi-bin/reseller/vendone.cgi?techmia.com" target="_blank">http://www.resellerratings.com/cgi-bin/reseller/vendone.cgi?techmia.com</a>

No comments on the company...
    Good old NetWare 3.11... if only modern O/Ss were made of the same stuff. Forget Windows 2000 for 99.999% uptime, this one had it ten years ago.

Heh, boy they arn't doing so well
    Thanks PJPilate, that was what I was looking for. It shipped out last Wednesday (at least that's what an e-mail from them claimed)
    It thought I marked it for Postal, but I have not been able to varify it. I picked up a cheap 128mb last night to get by until it shows.

Thanks for the help!
    ...I don't get it...

I ran into a few crooked online merchants, and have learned that before i buy from anyone online, that I should search the BBB.org database first, then avoid any merchants that have gotten bad reports. (I learned this the hardway- after being screwed, went to file a report, and then found out they have had many.)

I searched BBB for you- nothing reported yet on the company. If I were you, I would contact your credit card company and see if you were charged yet, and then put some more pressure on TechMIA. I would continue to try and contact them, and if you don't hear back soon, email them and advise them they have 2 days to respond to you before youy file a claim with the BBB. I have found that this does help to expedite at least a response explaining why shipment is slow, if not expediting your order.

the web address for BBB is-- <a href="http://www.bbb.org" target="_blank">www.bbb.org</a>

Also- you might want to consider the company's name before you buy from them.... TechMIA? (as in Missing In Action?) what the heck kinda of a name is that? (just kidding- but it DOES make one wonder....)
    The unbreakable toy is good for breaking other toys...

[quote]Originally posted by mahdi:
    <strong>Heh, boy they arn't doing so well
    Thanks PJPilate, that was what I was looking for. It shipped out last Wednesday (at least that's what an e-mail from them claimed)
    It thought I marked it for Postal, but I have not been able to varify it. I picked up a cheap 128mb last night to get by until it shows.

Thanks for the help!</strong><hr></blockquote>

oops! see what happens when i don't hit post until after my coffe break?

I, luckily, have not really had a trully horrible experience buying online as of yet and I buy a lot. I don't order from anyone, anymore, that I cannot verify their integrity as a company through resellerratings.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Angry

This is quickly becoming my first BAD online purchase...I still haven't gotten the stuff and no responce, I even left a nasty V-mail about getting the BBB on this. This stinks, MIA=Missing In Action for sure!
    I don't want to get the BBB involved, but it's coming to that!
    ...I don't get it...

oh- by the way, i wrote their sales department an email sayingthat i really wanted to buy lots and lots of parts from them, but was concerened what the MIA stood for-- asked them to tell me where their name comes from, and have not heard back yet! maybe my email is MIA.....

I've sent 3 e-mails to to them in the last week, including the 'hostile' voice mail I left (the last e-mail also mentioned action on my part to the BBB). This is really ticking me off

I wonder what company I'll never order from again?

I even have the <a href="http://www.bbb.org" target="_blank">www.bbb.org</a> website up waiting for me to hit the 'next' button to file a complaint!!
    ...I don't get it...

Exclamation

The company may have packed up and left. Tomorrow they will be somewhere else with a different name. Seriously, call your credit card company now and let them handle it before it's too late...

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>The company may have packed up and left. Tomorrow they will be somewhere else with a different name. Seriously, call your credit card company now and let them handle it before it's too late...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Right on. I was just going to say the same thing. BBB won't get you your money back, but Visa will.

[quote]Originally posted by MacGyver:
    <strong>The company may have packed up and left. Tomorrow they will be somewhere else with a different name. Seriously, call your credit card company now and let them handle it before it's too late...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree 100%. Why stress yourself out over a bad company? Contest the transaction with your credit card company, then buy your memory from someone well known or a local vendor.
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones